View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Seroquel confession 

Post Seroquel confession
Some time ago I posted about a bad reaction my husband had with 25mg Seroquel. He became almost paralyzed and unable to talk about half an hour after taking it. Of course, I attributed this reaction to the Seroquel and, in view of his disastrous experience with Risperdal, which was genuine, I was terrified.

But even without Seroquel he was showing these episodes of 'freezing' and dysarthria seemingly unrelated to any medication, time of day or any other condition. So....I reported this to his doctor and he suggested we try the Seroquel again--in the evening, not at bedtime, to gauge the effects. He had no visible effect! OK--so where we're at now: He takes 50mg Seroquel at bedtime and seems to sleep better, though not longer, and, most importantly, his hallucinations have decreased markedly. No effect on his delusions.

I feel sheepish about the alarm over Seroquel since posting it and I've posted this on the caregiver's forum, too. :oops:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:33 am

Post Re: Seroquel confession
Pat - you're just doing the best you know how to do. There aren't any easy answers, and it sure sounds like the med thing is a matter of trial and error for everyone. And, everyone is so unique in their reactions to these drugs.
My dad's been on Seroquel for about a year and does not appear to have any issues because of it, but how would you even know that for sure unless he were taken off that for a time? (retorical!)

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Pat,
I'm the leader of the Seroquel band wagon. It has been an absolute life-saver for Ken. But obviously not everyone has the same reactions to these MANY drugs our collective LOs are on. That's why we keep trying until we get it right. By the sounds of it, you are doing an excellent job and let nothing escape your detection. Derek is lucky to have you. Be good to yourself, Sher

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Pat -

Ironic that his freezing happened just at that moment. I would have reacted the same way. But fortunately you DID try it again and it is helping you both. Risperdal & geodon where also the worst antipsychotics prescribed for Hubby. Almost pushed him over the edge.

Before we got the dx for Hubby, he was prescribed 400 mg of seroquel at bedtime (which he continued taking for about two years) and he actually once accidentally took a double dose (800mg) which knocked him right out. I took over dispensing his drugs after that!) After his dx, his new doctors tried to wean him down to 25 mg or none. We were able to decrease the dosage to 100 mg which he still takes. When I tried to cut it to 75 mg, the hallucinations came back - so it's 100 mg at bedtime. We both sleep well at night now.

Sometimes it's danged if you do and danged if you don't....

I think we all agree that it's a wicked disease!

Karen

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks for the update.

Sometimes people have gone back and edited their past posts to reflect updated info.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]