View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Exelon vs. Detrol 

Post Exelon vs. Detrol
We saw my husband's neuro today. In 1988, he had a very bad bleeding ulcer but since then no problems... Until ... 1 week ago. At the suggestion of the UC Irvine team in 2008, he started taking 1 81mg. aspirin along with other meds including Exelon. We should have known better... He also has urinary incontinence. He stopped taking the aspirin 2 weeks ago when his stomach first started burning. Today the neuro said to stop the Exelon as it can also cause stomach distress and add Detrol!! It does not make sense to me to take away Exelon which was helping him think and add Detrol which will make his thinking worse. It is a double blow to his cognition which is already challenged. I think he should continue taking the Exelon and forget about the Detrol but am hesitant to overide the doctor. She is afraid he will "bleed out" but when we had blood work done on Tuesday, he was not anemic and the hospital did not keep him. Our local doctor is monitoring his blood level and we will be seeing a GI doctor soon for the endoscopy. Complications!
Roxanne

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Post Re: Exelon vs. Detrol
Here's my layperson two cents: skip the Detrol and consider transitioning to the Exelon patch. If the patch is not a good choice (eg, because you've already tried it), go off the Exelon until the situation clears up and perhaps start taking Namenda.

My belief is that you have to follow what the MD says, so hopefully you and the neurologist can come to agreement.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Robin ~ I agree. Skip the detrol until he can once again go back to the exelon. If he is off the exelon while the ulcer is healing, it would be unwise to add the detrol, IMHO. He is already on namenda, prozac, buspar [and carafate for the ulcer]. He tried the exelon patch 2 years ago, and it seemed to be too much for him = more confusion, etc. Again, IMHO, brains are more important than bladders! I don't understand why the neuro is not getting the "subtractive" effects of detrol minus exelon = alot less acetylcholine to the brain?
Thanks so much,
Roxanne
PS-Apparently the website no longer notifies me when a reply has been posted to my message???

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:25 pm

No clue about the "reply notification." Someone else mentioned this recently too. (Or maybe it was you in a different thread?) I never used this "feature" so I don't miss its absence.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:48 pm

I'd like to point out that there is no clear-cut list that everyone agrees with as to the degree of anticholinergicity (if that's a word) of medications. My dad's neurologist also prescribed Detrol. He said it was mildly anticholinergic. Perhaps the neurologist you are working with is of a similar opinion.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:53 pm

The feature of replies posted is indeed gone !

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]