View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 pain meds: I need help 

Post pain meds: I need help
Hi Everyone, Ken fell today (now yesterday) and fractured 2 vertebrae. We spent the day in ER and he finally has a room and I am home for a few hours sleep. I need to know: Are there any pain meds I need to keep away from him? I know some of you are East coast so may be able to reply before I go back to hospital around 6 AM Pacific time- Thanks for any input you may have, Sher

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:27 am

Post Re: pain meds: I need help
Oh, Sher! I'm so sorry to hear about your husband falling and injuring himself! My husband fell twice yesterday [once, trying to kick the dog for barking] but, thankfully, was not injured.

It is my understanding that morphine is preferred over demerol. If strong analgesics are not required, the weaker narcotics, like percocet, are probably fine.

I hope they are keeping him for a few days and maybe some time in rehab before he comes home. It will give you a chance to get some sleep and catch up on your errands, etc. BTDT. ;-) God bless! I'm there with you in spirit, sharing your burden.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Last edited by mockturtle on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:20 am

Sorry to hear about the fall and resulting breaks. Hope things go well at the hospital today. Try to get some rest while he is in the hospital. Lynn

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:21 am

You asked: "Are there any pain meds I need to keep away from him?"

Every person is different so there's no overall opinion on this. I suggest whatever dose is given be as low a dose as possible, and increase the dose slowly. The key is to monitor him closely for side effects. Even neurologically normal people can hallucinate or have problems on these meds.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]