View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 choking on food 

Post choking on food
I have done a search on the topic and from what I have read, all you can do is puree foods and feed slowly. This has all been done at the facility. He is having an issue with mucus/saliva as well. The caregivers seem to be second guessing my decision not to give him scopolamine. To my knowledge this does nothing to help with choking on food, and could not find anything in these posts to suggest that it does. He does cough on mucus but does swallow it. I have raised his head in the hospital bed and he sits in a recliner. I guess I am just reacting to the attitude I am getting from his caregivers at the facility. Any advice would be appreciated. I am guessing if he continues to choke on food, he will just give up eating. For the last few days he has been drooling, but I see this as a symptom of the mucus building up. I think they see it as an inconvenience.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:17 am

Post Re: choking on food
Personally, I think the scop patch is worth a try. It will help clear up secretions (mucus), and may make your husband more comfortable.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:26 am

I have searched this site for mucus,secretions, drooling etc. I guess I will give the scop patch a try, it is already at the facility waiting for my okay. I will wait until tomorrow as today is Sunday and I would prefer that the regular staff as well as his hospice nurse be available. I read the pamplet and it said droziness was a side effect....have you heard that is the case. Can't imagine him being more drozy than he is already. Also, seems to last 72 hours and then can be replaced. I am so vigilant about new meds that at times I think I am too cautious. I value your input Robin.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:34 am

There are many possible side effects and certainly drowsiness is one of them. That's largely how it works to treat seasickness....knocks someone out so they sleep.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:16 am

You are certainly a better speller than I am...kept looking at Drowsiness they way I spelled it and said this does not look correct....but you got my point!! I will give the facility a call in the a.m. and have them put the patch on him. A few of the med tecs were not familiar with it when I inquired whether they knew how to put it on, so will wait until Mon. a.m. when the administrator is there, she worked at a snf for years so she will be able to instruct them. Again, thanks.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:38 am

Just curious, in my search through the forum I never found anyone who said they used the scop patch...why is this? Perhaps the folks in the "after group" would have had experience with it, but I have no way of accessing them.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Search 'scopolamine'.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi,

I guess I am part of the "after group" now :-) I don't know if you are using hospice or not. As you already noted, pureed foods is the best choice as a first step. Mom held solid food in her mouth and didn't swallow it when she was at the ALF. The patch is a good suggestion though. Generally with hospice they provide a comfort kit for use of the patch or drops of atropine which is given under the tongue or lip. I used the atropine drops (same class of meds as scopolamine) with Mom and it did help with secretions. We didn't need too much either and I did it as needed once or twice a day (the patch gives a bit of less control for you but under the circumstances may be a great choice. The drops probably have less sedation associated with them). This did help for awhile, but you are right that eventually she did not want to eat or drink as a result of the choking. I am really sorry you are in this position, particularly in trying to do this while you LO is in a facility, it is so hard.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you,
PM me if you would like to,
Nancy

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]