View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Curcumin 

Post Curcumin
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone else heard about this herb? Looks like they have started clinical trials, of course in AD, not LBD, per usual (yes I am bitter about that).

http://seniors-health-medicare.suite101 ... g-dementia
http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/health-wel ... toms-by-30

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Post Re: Curcumin
Researchers have been looking into this herb for a while as an antioxidant that might inhibit the aggregation of alpha-synuclein, the protein at play in PD, LBD, and MSA. I don't think we have any human data yet.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:50 am

When I am able I am going to see if I can find any studies that have been done. Maybe right now it is just anecdotal evidence.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:32 pm

If you do a clinicaltrials.gov search, you'll see that there's a curcumin trial going on at UCLA or the LA VA in Alzheimer's:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01001637

You can find info on UCLA Alzheimer's Research Center's website about curcumin here:
http://alzheimer.neurology.ucla.edu/Curcumin.html

The brand of curcumin being used in the trial -- Longvida -- was developed by some UCLA researchers, I believe. Presumably they will see financial gain if the trial results are good.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Robin,

Charlie took curcumin for about five years before he died. I didn't notice any particular effect, but then maybe he functioned better for a longer time than he might have without it. Who knows?

Joy

Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:13 pm

Quote:
Charlie took curcumin for about five years before he died. I didn't notice any particular effect, but then maybe he functioned better for a longer time than he might have without it. Who knows?

That's one of the really big problems. The only way you can really tell if something is helping is if you had two of your loved one. One you treat, the other you don't- if they are any differences it is probably due to the treatment.

Given that the course of the disease isn't a simple linear progression (sometimes people have periods of more lucidity...) it is really hard to tell on a short timescale if something is helping. Likewise, if something helps slow the disease or its symptoms... how do you know?

That being said- you don't need to wait for any "drug" to do curcumin... it is "turmeric". Simply add some rhyzomes to the food (it has an earthy sour flavor and is a chief component of many yellow curries).

I've heard conflicting things about curcumin (none bad, its either "might help" or "probably doesn't help"). The initial interest seemed to be from finding that Alzheimers incidence was much lower (in equalivent populations) in India than here. For some reason, they zeroed in on curcumin (not an unlikely canidate... it does have known anti-inflamitory properties among other things). However, I heard there was another study indicating that Asian's have genetic differences that might well account for the lower incidence of Alzheimers.

Incorporating turmeric into the diet would (if it doesn't help Alzheimers, PD, or LBD) probably have other benifits like: reducing your risk of cancer (particularly in the lower GI tract). That being said you can overdo even good things, probably typical culinary amounts would be fine though (not sure what that would be 3-10 rhyzomes per week???)

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Post Re: Howdy
Howdy~
I am so unfamiliar with this forum, forgive me for not knowing my way around yet!
I am here because I have been helping my best friend with Lewy Body for over 5 years, and have not been able to find much support.We have known each other for 27 years, he has no family helping, and any other friends have dropped away.
His story is like many others, he was not diagnosed with Lewy Body immediately~vascular dementia and alzheimers came first. In the last month, the docs are saying he is in the last stage.I handle everything, at times it is more than overwhelming, and yet I am also trying to deal with slowly losing my best friend too. So many have never even heard of LBD, and the closest support group to us is almost a state away.
So, I would like to meet y'all, and try to help where I can (over 5 years experience so far), as well as hopefully find some support for myself
~Don't want to do it alone any more~

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi Cindy - welcome to the LBD forum, where you will make new friends, get info., have a place to vent, etc. You might want to try putting this intro. to yourself under the Introduction, since many more people are likely to look there rather than under Curcumin. The Intro. is a great place to start, and it'll be interesting for you to read the intros. of others too. I'm sure you'll read things that you have seen your friend experiencing. Then there are lots of other topics and postings for more specific things you are interested in or need info. about. Welcome! Lynn

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]