View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Helpful True Book. Izzy & Lenore (Hospice Dogs) 

Post Helpful True Book. Izzy & Lenore (Hospice Dogs)
this book called Izzy & Lenore: Two Dogs, and Unexpected Journery, and Me by Jon Katz 2008 . Is a great book for caregivers and for their LO.

I applied for and got a service for my dad with Wolfner Library for the Disabled. They now have book players that will play the entire book
on one "cassette". It is so much better than the prior audio books that
took 10 tape changes and flipping switches which my dad could not do.

Now you put in one "cassette" and it plays he entire book. When I visit him I can now start a book and leave it play. He will be able to just hit start again to stop the book and hit start to start it again.

The player is
more compact and much easier to use. It also plays for 30 hours after one charge! It is wonderful. I can even download books that my dad will like - westerns - onto special cassettes they are going to provide to me.

Dad is a veteran and blind so he qualitifed easily but anyone in Mo with a disability that will not allow them to read can apply and the service is free. You do not have to have a computer or anything.

ANYWAY - this book called Izzy & Lenore: Two Dogs, and Unexpected Journery, and Me by Jon Katz 2008 . Is a great book for caregivers and for their LO.

It does have talk about the this AMAZING dog visiting his hospice patients and talks about alzheimers, dying, etc... Even if you think your LO would not like to listen to the book - I still think it is excellent for caregivers.
The man in the book (the author, true story) also suffers from depression and he talks about that along with many stories of the caregivers he visits.

Even if you cannot get it in audio form if you like to read, it is a great book especially if you love dogs or if your LO loves dogs.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on books that would help caregivers. Or that they think are great listens for LOs that cannot read?

Sometimes my dad cannot stand to listen and doesn't want a TV or anything playing but often he does like to listen to the older western books. They are usually pretty short and do not have a lot of sex, cursing, etc...

Thank you

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]