View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Azilect 

Post Azilect
Does anyone know about the success of using Azilect Tablets? My wife is on Sinemet and Seroquel. They are talking about addig Azilect to help with the backward leaning, stiffness and freezing.

Wed May 26, 2010 8:25 pm

Rasagiline (Azilect) is an MAO-B inhibitor. It can be taken with Sinemet (adjunct therapy).

I'm unclear if it's proposed benefits are the same as you suggest. What does rxlist.com say? Certainly it may help with rigidity, a classic parkinsonism symptom. Freezing and leaning are symptoms that seem especially refractory to medication.

Some neurologists say that if you can afford this medication and see no side effects, it might possibly be worth a try (in PD).

Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 am

"Freezing" in this context means "getting stuck in one position" I'm guessing. I thought when people were using that term on the forum they meant the person is extremely cold all the time. Both of these are symptoms my dad has - he wears multiple layers all the time with wool sweaters and polar fleece jackets! Thus, my interpretation of freezing meaning cold... His legs get stuck bent at the knees when he is in his wheelchair, so his legs are "freezing" while his whole body is freezing!

Thu May 27, 2010 10:36 am

My dad is also very cold all the time. He can sit out in the 95 degree sunshine and be cold.
I push him into the shade and he thinks it is cold.

Plus he does not sweat. He never sweats. I discovered this back when he was still at home and I went to stay with him after he was ill. We'd walk outside to his pond. I would be running with sweat and he would not even think it was hot.

I didn't know if it was a condition he has that makes him not sweat or if it is some of his diabetes medications.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:20 am

I think when the term freezing is used here it means if a person is walking forward they just can't take another step what you , Lynne describe with your Dad's knee's, I think that might be consider just stiffness.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:13 am
Profile WWW

My dad's joints go from being like wet spaghetti to his muscles being totally locked up so that his joints cannot move. It is well beyond stiffness - not even his CGs or the PTs who used to see him can bend his joints when they get like that. Since he has multiple degenerative brain disorders, none of which are definitive diagnoses, there are all sorts of dysfunctional things that can crop up from one moment to the next. Then he gets mad at whomever is trying to, say, put his feet on the footrests on the wheelchair, when we can't bend his knees or ankles to put his feet up. It's really frustrating for everyone. Then they can go back to being very flacid.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Interesting about the anhidrosis (lack of sweating). This is very likely related to the LBD. (There may also be a connection with diabetes...I don't know.) Usually in DLB, anhidrosis is limited to the limbs or maybe the head. In another disorder (MSA), the pattern of anhidrosis is global. Researchers actually test people's sweat!
Robin

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Yes I was reading about helpful test they do to measure electrolytes in a person's sweat. I don't even think they could get any sweat from my dad at all. I wonder how long he has been this way.

One other think I noticed is that dad NEVER smells bad.

When I stayed with him after his first major problems, which we thought was a stroke, he was able to get around but not get into the bathtub safely.
I was staying with him in hopes he would recover enough from the stroke to stay home. He could use the restroom on his own. His main problem was lack of initiative and directional confustion.

He would go two weeks or more without a shower. I would wash his head with a washclothe (which he thought was freezing no matter how warm it was)

Anyway, along with the lack of sweating I noticed he really didn't even need to shower - he never smelled bad! Not even his breath. I found this pretty amazing.

My husband would come down every two weeks and help dad into the shower and stand by in case he fell. Dad would not let me or a HH aide bath him. He has since lost much of his embarassment since now he has to have help.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]