View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 any problems with allergy meds? 

Post any problems with allergy meds?
My mother has requested some allergy meds, and I was wondering if any one has had problems with them?

Wed May 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Avoid Benadryl or anything that contains its active ingredient (diphenhydramine). It may be best to avoid medications that are sedating.

Wed May 12, 2010 3:23 pm

I really hesitate to share this document because it makes a very alarming error (my layperson opinion) in suggesting Haldol as a therapeutic alternative but I think the list of antihistamines to avoid is good:

http://www.albany.edu/sph/coned/sta/att ... ations.pdf

Wed May 12, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks for the list Robin... It confirmed my suspisions
~Tammy

Wed May 12, 2010 5:57 pm

My dad has severe reactions to cold and allergy medications.

Confusion and fever caused by allergy medications have twice landed him in the hospital. It doesn't seem possible but it must be. Every time he takes them by the 3rd day he is completely out of his head. Well he NEVER takes them the nursing home gives them to him if he coughs.

What is the alternative for a cold/cough?

My dad never took cold or allergy medications. He always put Vicks on his chest and he would drink hot water with a teaspoon of honey. I wonder if the nursing home would be willing to do this instead. LOL
My dad also used cough drops but they don't let them keep simple cough drops in their rooms.

Sun May 23, 2010 9:29 pm

My husband was coughing alot recently...I researched it here on this site and saw that milk products make mucus, coughing, worse. I have a note in the kitchen at the ALF...NO DAIRY...he still coughs but not as horrible as it was before. I had never put the two together. Seems someone on this site recommended mucinex at one time...perhaps they will get on line and advise you.

Mon May 24, 2010 9:50 am

The list seems more applied to AD rather than LBD. Besides Haldol, Risperidone should probably also be avoided. Many of the drugs used in Alzheimer's Disease must be avoided in LBD & PD.

Mon May 24, 2010 10:47 am

We have found Mucinex [just the plain guaifenesin, not the 'plus'] very effective and safe. Several others on another forum have also used it for cough.

Mon May 24, 2010 10:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]