View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Forgot Exelon....for a week ! 

Post Forgot Exelon....for a week !
And it gets worse......my friend is in Central America-on extended vacation and just wrote me a desperate message. She has forgotten to give her husband the Exelon for a week.....only has 6 mg capsules on hand. Any suggestions on how she is to start him back on the 1.5 mg dose (bid) and continue to work him up to his previous optimal dose of 6 mg (bid) ? I doubt the capsules can be "quartered". Tho, I'm not familiar with Exelon. John Lennon once said......"Life is what happens...while you're busy making other plans."
Sue in WV

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:17 pm

I'll pass this by an SAC member and hope to have an answer for you tomorrow, but hopefully someone here can relate their experiences too.

Thanks,
Angela

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:28 am
Post Re: Forgot Exelon....for a week !
bomber wrote:
And it gets worse......my friend is in Central America-on extended vacation and just wrote me a desperate message. She has forgotten to give her husband the Exelon for a week.....only has 6 mg capsules on hand. Any suggestions on how she is to start him back on the 1.5 mg dose (bid) and continue to work him up to his previous optimal dose of 6 mg (bid) ? I doubt the capsules can be "quartered". Tho, I'm not familiar with Exelon. John Lennon once said......"Life is what happens...while you're busy making other plans."
Sue in WV

Hi Sue,
This is not an easy thing to do but the capsules have to be opened and quartered and then mixed with something like a applesauce or pudding this is how they did Jim's meds at hospice, its not an exact science but I am sure it will work, if this person had trouble with stomach issues starting exelon in beginning I am sure it will happen again, this also happened when Jim was taken off exelon in rehab and we put him back on. Good luck to your friend!

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:45 am

The downside is that this drug is rapidly excreted - hence the reason it has to be taken twice a day. So you probably have to start back from scratch again.

That said, you might not have to start from 1.5. Since the biggest risk is nausea and vomiting, which is easily detected without lab studies or medical care, and it reverses pretty quickly when the drug is discontinued, I'd try 3 mg and see what happens.

As for dividing capsules. I empty them out onto a flat surface and divide them with a razorblade in what looks like illicit drug abuse. It's the most accurate way I've found to do it.

Eric

Cal is not the real name of a real 84 year old with DLB. I don't speak for LBDA, nor do I have clever initials behind my name, so information is provided without warranty. Caveat everybody. I blog at http://PragmaticCaregiver.blogspot.com

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:02 pm
Profile WWW

Post Angela, Irene and Eric
Thanks for the quick responses. My buddy and I thought all would be lost----for a while.
Angela, I'll be quite interested to see how the SAC responds. This will be good info to "keep on file" for future reference.
Irene, never thought Jim's hospice would be splitting his capsules up. I just didn't think that was done when in capsule suspension. So, this is encouraging.
Eric, she will be familiar with the ol' razor blade on a mirror technique. There's something to be said for "a checkered past". So, you divide Cal's caps up??? Why?
Sue in WV

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:29 pm

We've had a couple agents where we've wanted to move doses more slowly than the marketed forms would permit - we always prefer capsules to tablets for ease of swallowing, but they're not always available in the same doses, and they're admittedly less dividable. Thus, we'll, um, improvise.

Eric, Who Has Hidden More Zyprexa In Food Than He'd Care To Admit

Cal is not the real name of a real 84 year old with DLB. I don't speak for LBDA, nor do I have clever initials behind my name, so information is provided without warranty. Caveat everybody. I blog at http://PragmaticCaregiver.blogspot.com

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:54 pm
Profile WWW

As promised, here's the feedback from one of our LBD experts:

"If the patient was tolerating the 12 mg a day previously, there shouldn’t be a problem to just resuming the medication."

Hope that helps!
Angela

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:15 pm

Post Awesome Angela
Never would have thought the answer would be so simple ! Good news for once. Almost forgot what that feels like. She's starting him back this evening - when she will be available to monitor him. We will keep you posted of the results.
Warm Regards,
Sue & the friend

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:21 pm

Post good news
He started the Exelon at his normal dose 2 days ago and....no problems. Steel guts this one!
Sue

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]