View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Exelon vs Aricept 

Post Exelon vs Aricept
My dad has been on Exelon for over 3 years and has not had any problems with it.

He has had terrible hallucinations for the full 3 years since was diagnosed.

Should we consider switching him from Exelon to Aricept to see if that could possibly stop the hallucinations?

Any opinions?

Thanks so much.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:24 pm

I doubt it's the Exelon causing the hallucinations. My husband was having them well before he started Exelon two years ago. The Stalevo can make them worse, but decreasing the dose renders him less mobile, so we think it's not worth it. Walking is more important than eliminating the hallucinations, to him. What does his doctor think?

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:38 pm

You might check out either "Mind, Mood, and Memory" by NPF or Dr. Boeve's "Continuum" paper for a treatment approach to hallucinations.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:50 am

Post hallucinations
I know the Exelon is not the cause of the hallucinations as he had them constantly for the few months before he was diagnosed and started the meds.

I think after 3 years plus of this and "grabbing at straws" trying to lessen the awful hallucinations I thought of this. All along I assumed the Aricept and Exelon were more or less interchangable kind of like Motrin and Advil.

My dad has an appointment with his neurologist on Tuesday morning so we will ask him what he thinks about making the change then.

So far other things we have tried for hallucinations have all failed and some even made him temporarily worse.

As you all well know this has been Hell on my mom , his main caregiver, so I keep struggling to find something that may help. My two sisters and I help a lot (considering the fact that we all have jobs)but it is so sad at 83 to see her so tied down and so we go on.......

Thanks for your responses.

My best to all of you Lianne

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:24 am

I don't believe Aricept and Exelon are interchangeable. When my husband started the Exelon patch, his neurologist said it was the only AChEI shown to be effective for use in PD-type diseases. Whether this is no longer true, I don't know, but it worked for him, initially. It never seemed to affect his hallucinations one way or another but helped his anger & agitation and improved his cognition somewhat.

There is no way to know if it's still effective at this point. I have known people whose LOs were taken off Exelon in the later stages and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:20 am

You are right: Exelon is the only FDA-approved AChEI for PDD.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:42 am

Post Exelon
My wife had her appointment with the primary Neurologist today and he claims the exelon has nothing to do with the Hallucinations. She is on Risipidone that supposedly will take care of the Hallucinations. Georgetown cut the dosage to .25MG from .50. But, according to the Primary Neu. the hallucinations are being caused by Sinemet. But, he increased the Sinemet to 25/100 3 times a day from 2 times a day. Georgetown says possibiity is inner ear problem because most of it started with the episode of Vertigo. Physical Therapy helped with the Vertigo.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]