View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Late stages of LBD and Aricept 

Post Late stages of LBD and Aricept
MIy mom has late stage LBD. She has been on Aricept for about 10 years. Is it still effective or should she be taken off of it? It is hard to get her to take pills and I don't see how it can be helping her. She does nothing but sleep in a chair all day long.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:34 pm

What does her dr. say? If it isn't helping her symptoms any more I wonder why a dr. would keep renewing the prescription. You should definitely talk with the dr. asap. How often does the dr. see your mom and assess her activities and cognitive functioning? Lynn

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:39 pm

I similar question came up about this today on the LBDcaregivers Yahoo!Group. Funny how issues go in waves like this.

Most of the best neurologists I know will leave a dementia patient on an AChEI such as Aricept until he/she dies.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:47 am

I'm certainly not a doctor, but I can't imagine why a dr. would leave a person on a drug that has no positive effect. Sounds like the only person winning here are the stockholders of the drug co. (Maybe the dr. is one!)

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:38 am

Doctors took my mother off Exelon and Namenda almost two years ago because it was clear they weren't helping. This was when she was hospitalized in the geriatric psych ward, and we were switching antispychotics.

Since then, we've also reduced her BP med by half. Since her BP remains very low now, our next step is to cut that out. We also cut out the B-12, which was basically a "just in case" Rx anyway.

Then she'll just be on an antidepressant and antispychotic. (Any pills have to be hidden in chocolate syrup if they have a chance of making it down.)

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:15 pm

In a support group I attended for several months in AZ, there were several who had taken their LOs off their AChEI with no deleterious [or even noticeable] effects. These were all in the later stages of their dementia. I agree that only the pharmaceutical companies are likely to benefit from late stage use. I would like to know the rationale from the physician.

My husband is on the Exelon patch and is probably somewhere between stages 3 & 4 [mostly 4, I guess]. When he is no longer able to speak or follow simple commands I intend to discontinue it. Even though our insurance pays for most of it, it's terribly expensive and probably isn't doing any good, even now. I feel strongly about keeping health care costs under control by eliminating unnecessary medications, especially in the elderly, who absorb, metabolize and excrete drugs less efficiently than younger people.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:55 pm

Post Aricept
When Mom went on Hospice we discussed it with her doctor and took her off the Aricept as it wasn't helping her and is not a palliative care medication.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Post Re: Late stages of LBD and Aricept
What are the criteria for stages of LBD? My husband is unable to do anything for himself, he is very stiff, still knows all of us, but cant rememberwhere the bathroom and bedroom and dinette is from his recliner in the den. He can recall lots from childhood and working, but cant remember yesterday. He sleeps mostly all day long very deeply but at night he talks, hollers, waves his hand out in front of himself, but can't get up or turn over. Bobbie

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Post Re: Late stages of LBD and Aricept
If you do a search on the forum or in the resources you can find some lists of stages and their symptoms. There is no set pattern, because different people develop different symptoms at different times, but you can find info. on here that can give you some general ideas of what to expect. Lynn

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]