View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Exercise program 

Post Exercise program
We've been watching the Sit and Be Fit programs on PBS but she goes much too fast for my husband to follow. By the time he's processed what he's supposed to do, she's on to something else. Does anyone know of a good DVD that would provide suitable exercises for someone with Stage III-IV LBD? In other words, slow and repetitious?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:07 pm

We just got an exercise DVD at our Parkinson Support Group meeting yesterday. I haven't had a chance to look at it but we have got others and as you say, they go much to fast for Frank. I'm checking into a one on one PT and going to try message theropy. Frank will walk a mile+ most days but that's all the exercise he gets. He is phyically in very good health so I'm trying to keep him mobile. I'll look at the DVD tonight and let you know if it's possible for our loved ones to follow.
Take Care,
Gerry

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:51 pm

A good exercise program should be adaptable to any level of mobility.

You can purchase the Sit and Be Fit series on DVD. That way you can start and stop on your own.

Here's part of an email I sent to the local support group about exercise videos:

PROGRAMS FOCUSED ON SEATED EXERCISES

1. "Sit and Be Fit" - videos/DVDs of exercises that can be done while seated. Cost: $18.95 and up. See
www.sitandbefit.org
In addition to their general exercise videos, they also have specialty exercise videos for those with Parkinson's Disease. Also, many public TV stations televise this exercise program.

2. "Motivating Moves for People with Parkinson's" - video and DVD featuring seated exercises, now available through the Parkinson Foundation of the Heartland. Cost: $19.95. See:
www.motivatingmoves.com
Their website has viewable samples. (You need either QuickTime or Windows Media Player plug-ins to view the samples.)

PROGRAMS THAT HAVE SOME SEATED EXERCISES

3. "Parkinson's Disease & The Art of Moving" - John Argue's exercise book and video/DVD for PD patients. Cost: $19.95 book, $47 DVD or video. See Oakland-based John Argue's website here:
www.parkinsonsexercise.com
A few of the exercises are intended to be done seated.

4. "Move It! An Exercise and Movement Guide for Parkinson's Disease" - a book and DVD for PD patients developed by Kevin Lockette, a Hawaii-based physical therapist. Cost: $40. See:
www.parkinsonsmoveit.com
Some of the exercises are meant to be done while seated.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks, Robin! Gerry, is your DVD on this list?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:16 pm

I just watched the DVD, it is not on the list. It is put out by Charisma Productions, TEVN Neuroscience, no idea what or who they are. I also emailed at thier web sight and asked if it's possible for the members of the Lewy Body Dementia forum to get copies. I found it was simple, no equipment necessary except for a couple weights, and like Robin said, you can pause it and do some repetitions. A 77 year old PK man goes through exercising for stretching, balance and strength. I'm going to try it. The Dr. that spoke at our PK group, brought a box of the DVD's to give out. There wasn't a charge. I'll post if they answer my email.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:59 pm

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:54 pm

I don't think that TEVA DVD is available any more. It is a good one. We have several copies that are passed around our local support group.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Post Theracycle
Does anyone know if the Theracycle being advertised as helping parkinson's patients actually works? I don't want to invest in at $6,000 machine if it won't help. Thanks :lol:

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:21 pm

I don't think there's any specific research on the Theracycle. There is general research that exercise is good for those with PD, and recent research that "forced cycling" may be helpful in PD. I don't imagine there's any research on LBD and exercise.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]