View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Versed and Fentanyl? 

Post Versed and Fentanyl?
My husband is having a colonoscopy on Tuesday at a new [to us] hospital . I just talked to the out-patient surgery nurse to find out what they use as anesthetics/hypnotics and she said they use Versed and Fentanyl. Now, I think the Versed is on the 'OK' list but I told her I wasn't sure about the Fentanyl and if there was another option. She said they sometimes use Demerol. Which of those two [Fentanyl vs. Demerol] would be preferable? Or do the effects vary with the individual?

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:34 pm

My uneducated opinion is to try to forgo Fentanyl or Demerol but if you have to go with the Fentanyl.

Note that Demerol is often a part of pre-colonoscopy prep. Demerol and Azilect do not mix. (I doubt your husband is taking Azilect but many in our local support group do.)

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:53 pm

Thank you, Robin. I also spoke later with the nurse who will be assisting with the procedure and she said they sometimes use only the Versed but prefer to use Fentanyl as well. Do you happen to know what type of reaction is likely, if there is one?

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Post Re: Versed and Fentanyl?
Just did a search on fentanyl on the forum and found this discussion. My dad was just put on Fentanyl patch today for the pain from his pressure sore. RXlist.com says only use this if the person has already been on an opioid - he hasn't. Should I raise this as an issue or wait and see how he does for a day or two? He's on 12 micrograms an hour. If you have any info. or experience with this I'd love to hear it. Thanks, Lynn

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:37 pm

I've never heard of 12 micrograms/hour for a Fentanyl patch.

Fentanyl is well-tolerated by many. I'd closely observe him and leave it at that.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:43 pm

The smallest patch I've seen delivers 25mcg/hr but a smaller dose would probably be a good idea, at least to start.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:35 am

On one of the online drug lists it says that 12.5 is the smallest dosage. Thanks for your feedback Pat & Robin.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:53 am

Yes, 12.5 mcg/hr is the dosage of Fentanyl that has been prescribed for my mother.

Julianne

Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:15 pm

p.s. FYI, just found this in a discussion of Fentanyl on an NIH web site, discussing the smallest dose of Fentanyl pain patch:

(Note: Although this patch delivers 12.5 μg/h of fentanyl, it is called “12” to avoid confusion with 125 μg/h.)

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks for that helpful clarification.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:49 pm

My dad is now on 25 of Fentanyl for the pain from his pressure sore, and is tolerating it well. In fact, they say he's been a lot less grouchy the past week or so since they've upped it. Lynn

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:15 am

My mother has been on the Fentanyl patch for three days now and she is doing much better--no longer crying in the a.m. from pain, moving around more easily, and less anxious. It is a relief to see the pain subside.

Coincidentally, I had a quarterly care conference this morning, and the nurses say they have seen a dramatic decline in her cognitively within the last month, as I have seen as well. It is getting much, much harder for her to speak. This morning, she became almost hysterical when she didn't get the right breakfast and could not remember the words for what she wanted (cold cereal). Fortunately, the nurse patiently kept guessing until she got the right answer. Mother used to be so articulate! I have been walking around with a weight in the pit of my stomach all day, just thinking of her distress--and what is to come.

Julianne

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Julianne - I know that feeling so well! We want so much to help our LOs, and we hate to see them suffer, yet there is nothing we can do to make them better, just try to make sure they are as comfortable as possible. That feeling of helplessness and hopelessness is just awful. For almost a year now my dad's speech has been so badly affected by his diseases, and I try really hard to figure out what he is saying. Most times, after about 2 min. of him trying to think the word, then say the word, and still can't get it I just see him give up. It makes me so sad for him.
Sending you a big cyber hug. So many of us are sharing the same frustration and sadness. Lynn

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Oh, Julianne, I'm so sorry! I do know how you feel. Sometimes when we see our LO every day it's not always apparent how much they have declined and when someone points it out it rather shakes us up. At least it does me. Lynn is right..the best we can do is to make their life as comfortable and joyful as possible within the limits of this awful disease.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:38 pm

I'm way off topic here..... but following what you were saying,

Pat ... Was it you who said - sometime ago - that you could see the changes but the larger family and friends could not - because it was always 'showtime' when they were around?

Dale was there for the longest time but now he routinely says strange things and others sort of look at each other in that 'did you hear what I heard' way. No one is fooled anymore.

It's painful for me and others when he goes on and on about something that doesn't make sense. He still loves to talk. It is agony for me to hang around and listen. It really takes all the patience I can muster.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next