View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Has anyone else tried music for sleep 

Post Has anyone else tried music for sleep
Just something I have started trying with my Mom since I brought her home last Friday. I have been using meditative music, mostly nature sounds, like the ocean during her nap in the afternoon and at night. It has been working very well for her. Even when she wakes up and I go in to reassure her she relaxes with stroking of her face and the music... Just an idea and I am wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:17 am

Northern California being Northern California, "music therapy" is very big here! There's even a music therapy school!

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:41 am

Post Awesome
I don't see a lot on this topic so I thought I would see if anyone else was trying it. My Mom responds really well to music. Today was St. Patrick's Day and she is Irish and we played Irish music all day long...she seemed so happy most of the day...I think there is definitely something to it :-)

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:06 am

There was a beautiful show on PBS on AD a couple of years ago. Called something like "Bridges." Anyway, someone who could not communicate with "regular" conversation and who did not speak, broke out with a huge smile and and started to sway rhythmically when the caregiver started singing a hymn that obviously the woman had learned as a child. Then the woman started to sing. It was an amazing sight.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:16 am

Post Memory Bridge
Yes, you are right. I saw it. I started doing some of that with Ma about a year ago. Here is the link to it. I haven't seen much more on her work since then but I haven't really looked into it very much either.

http://www.memorybridge.org/

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:23 am

Post post subject
My LO really responds well to music. In fact if I had to write up a care plan for him, I would include music. I need to put on the old country classics that he really loves. He will listen hours and hours with a newspaper in front of him. He responds so well to music. Sometimes when the sad old country music gets too much for me, :lol: I have some of his favorites on a MP3 player. That way I can rest my ears and he can still hear his music.
Mary

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:04 am

My husband loves classical music and we are blessed with a radio station that plays it nonstop. There are times, though, when he considers any 'noise' irritating and we turn it off. It depends entirely on his mood. But it usually has a soothing effect on him.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:35 am

Johnny will go days without a word, just that blank stare. Yesterday he was talking and we had a caregiver here. We sang, "You are my sunshine." And yesterday evening as we watched the basketball, he said, "You're going to sing there." I, too, put soft music on for him to listen to, and also sometimes, he will just not want any noise. I wonder how someone can sit (lay) for hours just looking ahead with no stimulation. We're not out of the bed anymore, so a change of scenery is not possible. Seems like any movement causes distress mentally, even changing diapers or turning.
Judy

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:50 pm

Nancy - as you mention St. Patrick's Day, I must share a story with you.
I live in Ireland and my Mum is in a private nursing home, about 5 miles from my home so I can usually visit twice a day. She too is suspected to have LBD. She doesn't walk any more, is completely delusional all the time, and her hallucinations seem much worse this week than usual.
Anyway, on St. Patrick's Day when I went in to visit her, I said "Happy Paddy's Day Mum", (I must mention that her Dad's name was Patrick, her husbands name was Patrick, and my son (her grandson) name is Patrick. Her reply - "O don't start that again, there is no way I am putting up a tree, lights or decorations, I am only after taking them down"!!!!!!!!!
Unbelieveable, especially when at Christmas she thought it was August!
Sometimes you just have to laugh to stop yourself from crying.
Hope you all have a good day today.

Annie.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:02 am

Post And a Happy New Year to you!
Oh Annie! I love it.

Bless her heart.

Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]