View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 double namenda 

Post double namenda
Has anyone had this happen? I think LO may have taken his second dose of Namenda only 4 hours after morning dose. Am wondering if there will be a problem.

Usually I set his pills out on the counter and he is so good about taking them on time, but at noon today when I looked, he had taken all the pills for the rest of the day except his 10PM seroquel.
I cannot tell if he is slipping or getting more secure with himself.
Mary

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 pm

You might check with the pharmacist or a website such as rxlist.com as to the possible effects from an "over-dose." Certainly there are some meds that are dangerous to take too much of. I have also known caregivers to take their LOs' meds and been in a panic about that.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Post post subject
Thanks Robin,
I will check with rx.list.com first and if I can't find anything, I will call a pharmacist. So far the only thing I notice is a lot of talking to himself.
I will let you know what I find out.
Mary

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Post post subject
Just talked with the pharmacist and he said he would doubt there will be a problem as the half life is long and the second pill will not be metabolized right away. He also suggested not to let him have access to all the days pills. :oops: I have been giving him some responsibilities but I can see I can't trust him entirely. Live and learn.
Mary

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Like everything else with LBD, there comes a time when someone else has to do things for our LO. Before I officially knew my dad had dementia, I thought he was taking his meds just fine, balancing checkbook, paying bills and all the rest of normal daily activities. When I realized many ADLs that I thought were fine weren't, I hired part time caregivers while he was still home and asked them to count out his meds for him. I think he thought he was ok, but he was missing some, probably ODing on some..... There comes a time when we just can't count on them no matter how much they want to do for themselves, and how much we want them to maintain their independence. Each of these steps is traumatic for everyone, isn't it? All the best, Lynn

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:09 pm

Post post subject
Lynn,
You are so right. I want so much for him to be well and like we used to be. It's times like this that I realize things will never be the same again and I just have to cherish what we have before things get much worse. I keep a real close eye on his medications, but I want him to take some responsibility. Every now and then I face the realization I can't give him that responsibility without watching him like a hawk. From now on I will only put out the meds that are to be taken at that given time. Thanks .
Mary

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:14 pm

It's all part of denial, I guess. We think we're helping them to stay self-sufficient longer. Unfortunately, the aren't. And they might be able to do something safely on Monday, but come Wednesday, they haven't a clue. :(

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Even as bad off as my dad is mentally and physically now, I still try to clue him in on things that he can handle, or have him make choices about simple things so he feels at least a little in control. But it has to be little things, like - do you want to go to dinner a little early tonight? Or, when I take you for a walk, do you want to go visit Becky? Sometimes he has lucid moments and wants to talk about his finances. I hesitate to tell him the truth because he gets upset with the reality of the situation (welcome to my world) and then he really gets depressed. I want to be respectful but I want to protect him too so I never quite know how much to tell him. I try to keep it to a minimum. We do the best we can, and hope for the best, right? Lynn

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:53 pm

I give Frank his meds, I always put them in his mouth, give a sip of water and asked if it went down. He'll say I don't know, so another sip of water and another pill. He has 4 at breakfast and 4 after dinner. I was letting him take them with his milk but a couple times I found a pill in the bottom of the glass. I can't find anything that he can complete himself. I try to encourage him to continue shaving but most of the time I have to finish. I find 99% of me is a caregiver, no time to be a wife. Although he doesn't know who I am anyways. Physically he couldn't be healthier, with the good weather coming back we've been getting our 1 - 1 1/2 mile walk in, he refuses to exercise but does enjoy the walking. I just want to keep him mobile.

Take Care,
Gerry

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:33 am

Post post subject
You are all so right. I am in denial about this illness, however we are in such a better position now than only a year ago. My LO was one of those whose symptons "appeared" to come suddenly, hallucinations, delusions, confusion etc. I can even remember at one point when he tried to spit his pills out at me. :cry: We have had about 6 months now that he is so with the program. I started to trust him too much and let him have too much responsibility. Every now and then I start to wonder if he has been diagnosed correctly, then remember the delusions and hallucinations and remember he is on the "big guns", Arecept, Namenda and Seroquel.
So, starting today I will still put all his little med cups out with times on, but only put pills that won't matter if he doesn't take in a timely matter. Like vitamins. Then I will bring out the important ones at the right time. Hopefully I can still make him feel like he has some control and self worth.
Mary

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 am

I could have written your post about my LO. You are right, now that he is on the 'big guns' it is like no LBD here! Dementia, yes. LBD, no. I too give him his morning meds in a little cup. Most times he sleeps till 10:00 am.

:P

Thank goodness they are at a pretty good place now.

Karen

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:15 am

Post post subject
Karen,
Sure hope this good place can last so we can live out our life in some sort of normal state. I have read that of all the dementias, LBD has the most potential for improvement. Hope they are right. Nice to know there are some others that are in a good place, as I remember so well a year ago, I too was asking about stages of LBD because I was sure if there were stages, we would be in one of the later stages. I am afraid of returning to those early days. At least now, I know what we are dealing with.
Mary

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:41 am

Yes, I agree 150%!

It just breaks my heart to read what our lewy sisters & brothers are going through. And then we pray....

Karen

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:47 am

I'm thinking your LOs must be a lot younger or something than my dad. He certainly isn't "better" really. He has had a few more good moments the last few weeks, but just when I thought his communication skills were "better" from being on the Aricept, we're now back to the same old same old. Plus, he is pretty aggitated again.
Lynn

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Lynn: When my husband first started on Stalevo, in 2005, he was markedly better for a month or so. Each time they increased the dose he was better for a while. Then he reached the maximum. He was slightly better [and a lot less violent] when he started the Exelon patch in 2008. I saw little or no improvement in his cognitive status. I know the Stalevo still helps his PD symptoms because he gets worse when we cut the dose. Who knows if the Exelon is still doing anything? But he gets worse all the time. In spurts. He'll be on a plateau for a few months then take a dive and stay on another, lower, plateau for a while. It's a progressive disease and it will progress. :(

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next