View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Aricept effectiveness 

Post Aricept effectiveness
Hi - my dad has now been on Aricept for about 4 weeks. His speech seems to be better, his memory a little better, hasn't helped his grouchiness or frustration, though. His friend called me today and said he visited a few days ago and had the best conversation he's had with my dad since last spring before his big decline. I have been warned not to get too excited that his symptoms are better because Aricept only works for a few months. Do any of you have experience with this? Probably like everything else in LBD world it varies significantly from person to person, as far as how long the positive effects will last. I'd be happy to hear from anyone about your observations. Thanks, Lynn

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Lynn, Frank has been on Aricept for 3 weeks, still on the starter pk. I have noticed a difference, he isn't alway trying to "fix" things, that aren't broken. Not once has he accused me of running around or asking about my boyfriend. He does doze more during the day, but still sleeps 10-12 hr at night, except for a few nights a month, when we may have an all nighter. It seems he doesn't remember the immediate. I'll tell him where we are going, and shortly after he's asking why I'm dress or rushing him. Since he's been on the Aricept he has had several accidents at night. After stripping the bed 3 times in a week, I suggested he start wearing the pull ups at night and he was in full agreement. I don't know if it's the Aricept or the combination with his other meds that have helped. With all that said, tomorrow may be a completely different story, there are no norms with this disease.

Take Care,
Gerry

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:10 pm

there are no norms with this disease

Alas! This is so true! :(

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Post Arecipt
Lynn, When they increased my wife's dosage from 5MG once a day to 5MG twice a day her memory improved a lot for about wee. Then She had the Vertigo incident and the doctors at Georgetown said she never shold have been on it. They have her in teh Exelon Patch and her memory has really improved.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:54 pm

I've seen my dad the last 3 days, first time I've actually seen him since he started on the Aricept. His cognitive abilities are so much sharper than they've been in almost a year. Unbelievably, even his hearing is more acute. When I make the slightest noise when he's napping, he wakes up. I don't have to repeat everything. It's not perfect, but it is SO much better. His sense of time and space are still really wacked, but that is ok. We can at least carry on a more normal conversation.
He has asked me the last 2 days about what's wrong with him, why aren't his legs working, etc. I sat down this a.m. and talked with him about Parkinson's and its symptoms. I didn't want to mention the word "dementia" because I thought he'd get even more depressed and really freak out. We had a very normal, adult conversation and he listened while I talked about his rigidity and sometimes flacidness in his legs, and all sorts of other symptoms. He thought about what I was saying and finally said "this is not good. I never thought I would be like this." I was glad that we had a rational conversation while he was rational and I hope the Aricept keeps working.
Although last week everyone who called me made it sound like he was at death's door, he seemed better in many ways when I got there Mon. than he's been in many months. His weight loss is an issue and I am dealing with that with the ALF staff. If I give him what he likes and help him eat it (he cannot really feed himself) he will eat quite a bit.
Tomorrow we see the neuro. and I am hoping he can get some meds that may help his muscle weakness, coordination and rigidity. Keep your fingers crossed!
Lynn

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 pm

I am glad you found things betterf then what you have been told all along, As to the aricept sorry I hav no personal experience with it, my husband took the exelon with decent results, really heed a great deal with the hallucinations!
I hope you get some answers!

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:55 pm
Profile WWW

Great to hear about your dad, Lynn! :) The hearing part is really interesting. Since my husband has been on Exelon [two years] his hearing has become almost hyper-acute! And he had been slightly hard of hearing, before. Nice to have some GOOD side effects, huh? --Pat

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:17 pm

Post Your Dad
Lynn, Great to hear about your Dad. It is nice to have that clarity, isn't it? On the hearing...hyperacuity is a good term. My Mom's hearing is exceptional. It isn't really normal. It is much better than mine or anyone that I know. I don't think it is a result of the exelon because she has been that way for years. Is it possible that it is part of LBD?

I'm glad that you are there to personally experience your Dad's behaviour and his relationship to his surroundings. I know that you will come to the right decisions. Be strong and rely on your loved ones. Annie

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 am

At the neuro apptl. today I found out my dad is on Namenda as well as Aricept. He did not have a good day today for the most part, no Show Time at the doctor's. The neuro was shocked at his decline. He now has to be fed most foods. Bought some little kid drink bottles so we don't have the stemmed glassware at the ALF dropping in his lap like the past 3 lunches.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]