View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Nuvigil for daytime sleepiness? 

Post Nuvigil for daytime sleepiness?
Does anyone have experience with Nuvigil for daytime sleepiness? For the past 5 days, My LO has been taking 75mg in the morning. So far, there is not much difference in his wakefulness.
Thanks so much,
Roxanne

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:49 pm

I think most here have had experience with Provigil.

What did the prescribing MD say in terms of when you should see benefit, if it was to be seen?

Dr. Boeve at Mayo Rochester is conducting a trial of Nuvigil (the newer form of Provigil) in DLB:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01023672

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:55 pm

The MD didn't say when to expect a difference... I "assumed" it would be immediate given the type of drug it is. The pills are 150mg each but we were afraid to start at the 150mg dose so he cut them in 1/2. Yesterday, he was feeling more drowsy... we may try it again.
Thanks,
Roxanne

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:47 pm

My "assumption" (equally dangerous!) is that it takes several weeks to know if there's benefit. Does rxlist.com or drugs.com say?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Post NUVIGIL
I started with 1/2 of a 150mg Nuvigil and this helped a great deal with tiredness during the day but after a few days I started having tremors and difficulty swallowing in the evening. When I stoped the 1/2 dosage the symptoms soon went away. Now I daily take 1/4 a 150mg dosage and it helps for a few days without the extra symptoms. And then I skip the pill a few days if symptoms return. Without the 1/4 dosage I sleep more during the day.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:40 pm

I'm toying with the idea of trying nuvigil for my hubby. He complains of being so sleepy in the mornings. He said it takes him way into the afternoon to feel awake. He usually gets 12 solid hours of sleep at night. In the morning he gets his breakfast & coffee & takes his pills, then shaves and does that bathroom stuff. Then he heads for the lazy boy and naps till I wake him for lunch. I found a coupon for 7 free tablets on the net. You still need to have your doctor write the rx for it and hopefully you'll know how your LO will react to the drug before you buy the 3 month supply.

We have an appointment next month with the geriatric psychiatrist and we shall discuss it then. He's also mentioned that his balance seems off. Looks like he is progressing a bit in the illness. He is in a good place right now and hopefully it will last for a long, long time.

Thanks for reminding me to start slow - half a tablet for starters. I'm off the to read about it on rxlist.com. Thanks Robin.

Karen

Sat May 15, 2010 7:30 pm

We've tried an anti-depressant, an anti-psycotic, and now finally Nuvigal for my mother's daytime drowsiness. The anti-psycotic was taken at night to help her sleep through the night, thinking that would help her stay awake during the day. The only thing that has worked is the Nuvigal. I noticed an immediate difference. We started with the 150 mg, but my father didn't notice any difference. So the neurologist gave us a 250 mg dose. But to start I split the pill in half, so she is only getting 125 every morning. She is very alert, smiling more, giggling a bit. She's a different person and it's great. She did also stay up later, 10:30 instead of 8:30 or 9:00, but that's ok. And although she gets up to use the bathroom, nighttime sleeping seems to be ok. I don't think I'll increase the dose, I don't know why my father didn't notice a difference. He's in the hospital now, so I am with her more and I think it's working. Maybe he split the 150 into 75 and maybe that wasn't quite enough.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Our appointment is coming up mid June.

I'm quite excited about the possibilities of this drug after reading your post. Hubby's not to sure he wants to start taking another drug. He spent time napping after breakfast this morning and then I found him flat out sleeping on the couch this afternoon when I came in the house from doing some gardening. Because of the anti-psycotic and klonopin he takes at bedtime, he usually sleeps a good 9 - 10 hours at night.

Karen

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:11 pm

I wish my husband could sleep at night. He doesn't sleep much during the day, either. He dozes a bit after his breakfast and shower and sometimes takes a brief afternoon nap. He never sleeps more than 5-6 hours at night.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]