View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Depression & LBD 

Post Depression & LBD
I am wondering what is considered the best anti-depressant for someone with Lewy Body Disease? Does anyone know which drug is preferred? I also wonder what comes first: the depression or the knowledge that something is not right???
Thanks so much,
Roxanne

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:00 pm

The hard part with medications is they all react differently, much is trial and error.
As to the depression question not sure of that answer but I know my husband was DX'ed with depression long before LBD.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:07 pm
Profile WWW

My husband was also dx'd with major depression and GAD long before the Lewy Body symptoms really started becoming alarming. However, it was only about 5 years before the first "red flag" appeared which was an inability to learn a new task. Hard to believe since he was such a bright person [and in many ways, still astounds all of us]. The Prozac and Buspar kept him stable, but I wonder if they did not speed up the inevitable LBD...
Blessings,
Roxanne

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:24 pm

My dad is on Sertraline, which I don't think helps at all. The ALF and dr. keep telling me to give it some time. It's been almost 4 months. He was on an anti depressant 12 years ago when my mom suddenly died, and I don't know how long he stayed on it. Last fall when it became apparant that he had dementia I asked his dr. to put him on an anti-depressant. I didn't know he had stopped taking the one from 12 yr. ago. and that's when his new dr. prescribed the Sertraline. I take it and it's great! I just feel like I am back to normal, no weird side effects, but I don't have LBD either. I think you just have to have the dr. try something that folks here recommend, and if it doesn't seem to work, push the dr. to make a change. Lynn

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:05 pm

I think the only thing that can be definitively stated is that there has been no research on what the best treatment for depression in LBD is.

Dr. Boeve, in the "Continuum" paper, like many neurologists, seems partial to the SSRIs, such as Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa.

In our local support group, many seem partial to Lexapro, perhaps because it comes in liquid form.

Like all meds, people should be monitored closely when first taking it. Not all antidepressants suit all people. I'm sure there are some horror stories here on the Forum if you search the posts.

One issue with the tricyclics is that they may be anticholinergic, even mildly so. On the other hand, in a somewhat recent study of antidepressants in PD, nortriptyline (a tricyclic) gave better results than one of the SSRIs. (I'm sure I posted the research here.)

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:24 pm

Thank you Robin. I think it best not to rock the boat and will stay with the Prozac and Buspar as they have helped although certainly not cured!
With Much Appreciation,
Roxanne

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]