View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Medicines For Lewy Body Dementia 

Post Medicines For Lewy Body Dementia
My wife seems absolutely fine when she wakes up at 10 or 11 pm, and has a sandwich and coffee. We both wonder why she does not feel as well when she wakes up in the morning. Her neurologist never suggests changing or altering her medication--Stalevo, Sentimet, Seroquel, Remeron. I am wondering if perhaps she is taking too much of these drugs; will they have an adverse effect. During the day she is lethargic at best; sometimes she remains in bed most of the day; however, at 10 or 11 pm, she is a completely different person. If anyone could give me an explanation, I would appreciate it.

Roger Plafkin

Last edited by plafkinfarms on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:54 am

My husband's neurologist explained it as a malfunction of the part of the brain that determines day/night. My husband is at his most alert at 4AM.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:39 am

Day/night can be confused in many dementing illnesses.

You might consider a meal clock. (Do a search of past posts to find a link to it.)

You might consider "sleep hygiene," which are non-medication approaches to ensuring someone is tired.

You might consider a sedating medication at night to help with sleep. Best to refer to Boeve's "Continuum" paper for the proper treatment regimen for this symptom and other LBD symptoms.

Robin

PS. Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to post your phone # and email address on a public forum. Spammers/web crawlers are certainly looking for email addresses. Who knows who may be interested in your phone #.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:31 am

Sleeping long hours is a common complaint of many caregivers but the way I look at it they are peaceful and not being aggitated and combative.I could also be part of stage with the disease! Have you spoken to her Doctor about this yet?

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:05 am
Profile WWW

For future posting please no personal infomation on the forums, we try to keep it safe but it isn't always possible and there are too many people lurking around on the Internet and not for the same reasons we are here,

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 am
Profile WWW

Roger please go to your post and edit it and remove your personal infomation, if you need help with this please let me know !
Just want to keep it safe here!

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:11 am
Profile WWW

Have any of you tried using the lights that people use for SAD? I wonder if those would help? I start using mine in late Aug. because at the 45th parallel, that's when SAD starts kicking in for many people. By Dec. 1 I don't need it. Has anyone tried this yet with their LBD LO? Lynn

Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Remeron was a terrible drug for my mother who has LBD. Made her feel terrible. One of the listed side-effects of this drug is drowsiness.

Perhaps you could try her on another antidepressant. She may pick right up with the EMSAM antidepressant patch, which is the drug Selegiline, a MAO-B inhibitor that prevents the breakdown of dopamine.

LBD and Parkinson's are both Lewy body diseases. The causes for Parkinson's disease or neural-degeneration are probably related to mitochondrial malfunction, elevated oxidative stress, apoptosis, excitotoxicity, and inflammation. [1-4]

You may consider asking your doctor about opinions on these supplements/medications :

Dynacirc CR (Generic name - Isradipine) - 5mg
May delay destruction of dopaminergic neurons by preventing excitotoxicity.

Selegiline - 6mg
Antidepressant, slows breakdown of dopamine.

Creatine - 5mg
Boosts mitochondrial function.

CoQ10 – 1200 mg
Boosts mitochondrial function.

Acetyl-L-carnitine – 250 - 500 mg
Antioxidant specifically useful in Parkinson's disease [5].

Vitamin D – 1000 mg
Important antioxidant - therefore brain protecting activity.

Inosine - 5000 mg
Increases urate levels. Urate is emerging as a predictor of both risk and progression of Parkinson’s disease.

Ibuprofen
Anti-inflammatory drug.

R-Alpha Lipoic Acid - 50 mg
Make sure you get the R form. Antioxidant that can pass through cell membranes. Works both inside and outside cells.

DHA from algae (omega 3’s without the mercury from fish oil) 900 mg
Anti-inflammatory.

N-acetyl cysteine
Antioxidant that is a precursor of glutathione, the body's most important antioxidant.

----------------

[1] Fernandez-Espejo E. Pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease: prospects of neuroprotective and restorative therapies. Mol Neurobiol. 2004 Feb;29(1):15-30.

[2] Johnston TH, Brotchie JM. Drugs in development for Parkinson's
disease. Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2004 Jul;5(7):720-6.

[3] Bonuccelli U, Del Dotto P. New pharmacologic horizons in the treatment of Parkinson disease. Neurology. 2006 Oct 10;67(7 Suppl 2):S30-8.

[4] Beal MF. Mitochondria, oxidative damage, and inflammation in Parkinson's disease. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003 Jun;991:120-31.

[5] Steffen, V., Santiago, M., de la Cruz, C.P., et al, Effect of intraventricular injection of 1-methyl-4- phenylpyridinium protection by acetyl-L-carnitine. Human Exp Tbxicol 14:865-871,1995

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:13 pm

The hospice doctor put my mom on Xanax for anxiety. Has anyone tried that and have they had their LO just out of it? I mean I am wondering if it is the Meds that is making her unable to walk or her natural decline? SHe is also on Lortab for pain. Theses are new meds they added. She is also on Seroquel and arecept. We stopped all the heart and blood pressure and cholesterol meds. No long term meds.
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Sun May 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Seroquel affected my husband that way, Tammy, with just one 25mg dose, so he can't take it, although many Lewys take it with good results. I've been tempted to try Xanax for his anxiety/agitation but have been told by some that it can increase anxiety in LBD patients. Temazepam has that paradoxical effect on him if it's given any time except just before bed. It's such an individual thing. And it's always hard to know how much to sedate someone to keep the agitation and anxiety level down.

Don't be afraid to speak up--as medical POA you have the right to refuse any treatment or suggest holding a med to see if there is any improvement. Make sure the doctor is aware. It could be that your mother is just experiencing decline. I've noticed that decline seems to go in spurts rather than gradually. My husband seems to stay on a plateau for several months then slide down in a matter of a few days to another, lower, plateau. Blessings to you! --Pat

Sun May 16, 2010 12:22 pm

I understand Pat. I have to phycially pick her up tp get her to the bathroom now. I am just going to have to start changing her in bed. I hand fed her this morning. SO scared she would choke while she was eating. Having to keep telling her to chew and swallow. The Hospice doctor is coming out this week to seeher, and I am going to talk to her about it. Also am going to ask for more help with her. It is a hard road but harder for her. I keep telling myself that. Put myself in her shoes.
Thanks ,
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Sun May 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Has your mother taken Ativan before? Xanax and Ativan are very similar medications. They can cause paradoxic anxiety but they work in many people. These medications are sedating so perhaps that's why she can't walk. Lortab and Seroquel are sedating as well.

Check side effects for medications on a website such as rxlist.com.

Robin

Sun May 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Post Azilect
Does anyone know anything about the use of this with Seroquel and Sinemet? It is for balance and freezing

Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 pm

Which medication are you talking about using with Sinemet and Seroquel?

Youg might check Boeve's "Continuum" paper to see what he says.

Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 pm

Robin, I'm asking about the use of Azilect with Sinemet and Seroquel

Thu May 27, 2010 2:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next