View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 desperate for sleep 

Post Re: desperate for sleep
mockturtle wrote:
assuming it was hallucinations or other abnormal brain activity keeping him awake.

In Dale's case, he was deeply involved in believing in this sudden windfall of money ... and I wasn't taking it seriously enough. In fact, I drove right past the bank on the way to the drug store to obtain his medication. He was furious at me when we came back home.

He is now sleeping deeply. He has not had dinner and he is not attached to the condom catheter... but I will leave him to sleep as long as he wants. Hopefully, he will awake at a respectful time in the morning and be refreshed.

Have you had a similar experience and did he sleep through the night on medication?

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Ginny,
Also check into free cliinics in your area and they also have clinics that are based on income with a sliding scale.

Good Luck !

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 pm
Profile WWW

Leone, I'm attempting to reenact in my mind a scenarerio such as you describe. I would not wake him until he went to bathroom, at that time, I would have a minimum number of his meds ready [only the ones which would help him sleep again or maybe Namenda if he is taking that]. I would not use any unnecessary speaking and be quiet as possible letting him wash the meds down with Ensure to help promote sleep and have a comfy tummy. Of course, you are dealing with the catherter so I don't know how that would fit into this trying to keep him in the sleep mode, but you get the idea, talk quietly and lovingly.

If he has something really bothering him, like an undiagonosed infection, or over-due bowel movement then all bets are off this is just a suggestion. Anything to break through his sleep could resurface. I pray for his good night rest.

Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice", This is the way my husband, Mr B., introduced me in 2006 to the people only he knew. Death due to pneumonia. Lewy Body Dementia diagnosed post mortem at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 pm

FYI - Ginny's last post was from a year ago (Jan 2010). I haven't seen her post lately.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks I guess I just looked at the month! But will leave it in just in case someone else is looking for medical care.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:34 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: desperate for sleep - another dose of Xanax
Dale was down for the night last night, I thought. He said he was tired after dinner so we did the bedtime ritual ... with the catheter and the Seroquel. He had been extremely difficult to put in his wheelchair. He hates that chair! He cannot SIT without great effort at this point.

Two hours later, he was up ... walking around with the bag in one hand and his robe in the other. He was supposed to be the speaker at a convention and he couldn't find the hall. I tried to get him back to bed to no avail. I finally gave him Xanax again.

An hour later, he was sleeping with his robe on slippers still on. I could finally remove his glasses.

These episodes ... now Friday, Sunday, and Monday .... are wearing me out. He gets mad at me because I won't cooperate and take him where he knows he needs to be.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:24 am

Leone, I've been there and while not getting enough sleep I struggled with tears every step of the way. We all know and hope this is a temporary situation. I have you in my thoughts and maybe you could tell Dale they called and cancelled all meetings. If he's like Frank, he'd accuse you of not being truthful, either way you'll never win, but with enough sleep you can get through it.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks Gerry... and Pat A for your thoughts and prayers. We're doing fine this morning. Dale was even able to laugh at the memory that he walked around the house naked with the bag in his hand. He says he wishes we had a photo. I said no newsmen were here.

Both of us had a full night of sleep thanks to Xanax 0.5 mg. I'm going to use that as 'my big gun' on these episodes and see if we can control it that way. I don't want him to get used to that medication... as has apparently happened with the Seroquel.

When we're going through these, I keep wondering how long I can continue to do this. This morning, I'm confident again.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:36 am

False alarm..... Dale is into another episode. It has been five days and his neurologist is referring us to a psychiatrist. The neurologist is not confident that he is able to give us the best medicine for this situation.

Strangely, Dale is able to walk during the episodes and almost completely immobile at other times.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm sorry.

Will you be able to see the psychiatrist soon?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks for asking, Jeanne. You are very kind. I haven't received the call yet. I will keep you posted.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:08 pm

So sorry Leone. It is so much more difficult to deal with this when you aren't getting enough sleep on top of all the other stressors. I hope you and the med. folks find something that helps ASAP.
Can he drink alcohol? Maybe a nice big glass of Bailey's over ice, or a hot toddy, or whatever would relax him enough to get him to sleep.
Can he take Benadryl?
I wish you the best in getting this problem solved. Lynn

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:44 pm

You make me smile, Lynn. Dale enjoys beer ... but the last time he had a small glass, he was so delusional afterward that I have completely rejected that idea. He is now sleeping with Xanax and Seroquel.

I hope he can go back to a glass of beer once we have this medicine problem solved. He asked for some tonight... in the middle of his delusions.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Benadryl is on the no-no list. And it takes eons to work its way out of the body of a geriatric aged person. Nan

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Dale slept through the night for a year and a half with Seroquel 100 mg. Now, Seroquel is not enough. He was wide awake last night talking about the traffic signals in the room and mumbling in a conversation with himself.

I gave him 1/2 Xanax at midnight and after about an hour, he slept and didn't awaken until 9:30 am. In fact, he is still groggy at 11 am.

I am well aware that Seroquel is not a sleeping pill but it was effective for a long time.

What works at your house for sleep through the night?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next