View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is novacaine a good option for LBD? 

Post Is novacaine a good option for LBD?
John needs 2 back teeth removed and has appt for consultation with an oral surgeon in a few days. I am really wary about any anesthesia.

Has anyone had a bad experience with novacaine with your loved one?

Another question: Was novacaine sufficient to remove 2 back teeth at same time on different sides of the mouth? Or does this sound like too much trauma at one time?

I would love to hear from everyone, because I am nervous about this for my John.

Thanks,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Post Re: Is novacaine a good option for LBD?
This has come up at least twice before. Perhaps you can do a search of past posts that contain the word "novacaine"?

I haven't heard that novacaine injections are a problem, but I'd ask one of your husband's MDs (neurologist or psychiatrist).

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:45 pm

My 95-year-old dad just had several teeth and nasty roots removed last week. He doesn't have dementia issues but was very anxious and worried about it. Our dentist, who is quite simply the best I have ever seen, did this herself, feeling that she knew him and his mouth and his fears better. She is a highly skilled administrator of novocaine - seems to know the nerve paths and their idiosyncrasies exceptionally well - and he told me after that he just did not have any pain at all. He was numb for a while, and was supposed to stay on soft food till the stitches came out 4 days later. But he was relieved to find that even after the novocaine wore off, he was fine with just acetaminophen. He was also happy because I made him 6 little custards, his favorite, to ensure that he got something nutritious as well as soft.

So I think that one real key is the skill of the person doing the dental work. My dad had a lot of work, both sides, all in one day, but owing to his dentist's skill, he was fine. And now he is so happy - he can eat comfortably again, and his new teeth are a perfect fit. (His dentist is checking him about once a week still to make sure he does not have any problems.)

Good luck - I hope it goes well for him!

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:27 am

My husband has novacaine when he has his teeth cleaned and there have been no associated problems.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Probably novocaine (novacaine?) is considered a local block -- just the type of anesthetic that the LBDA Scientific Advisory Council recommends.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:55 pm

Thank you for your kind responses! Now I feel better about it, because the oral surgeon is a very good one.
Take care,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Pat
I wish you the best....I have to have an extraction done too ad wasn't sure what meds to use but instead I ended up having to have a hysterectomy first . I did it with a spinal block, no sedation and a strong mindset that I wanted to protect my cognition. Everything went great...except the painful recovery part is going slowly, but I expected that. So now I'm not as afraid of the tooth extraction....I had a root canal last nov before my dx with 5 halcion, max nitrous and never got sedated....this time I am going to ask for double novacaine ( they do that for my fillings too), no nitrous or anything, just my klonopin, and if necessary a little iv fentanyl, which they did put into my spinal at surgery....I think I came out of surgery more clear headed than I was before it actually.....hope some of this helps in some way.....
Take care,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:44 am

Tonya, glad to see you back. Was worried about you. Hope the rest of your recovery goes well and take care of yourself,
Ger xx

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:52 am

Tonya,
Glad to hear the surgery went well. It's impressive when someone advocates for themselves so successfully!
Robin

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Tonya, welcome back! I'm glad to hear from you again. Please take all the rest you need!

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:50 pm

I am still scared. Today was rough emotionally.
I have sent emails to oral surgeon after John's neurologist said to be careful with dosage of fentanyl. He saw neurologist's comment and said he typically gave
100mcg fentanyl+ 2.5 versed+lidocaine.
He said the fentanyl dosage was for full duration of procedure. I hope I am understanding that correctly. I did respond to him that LBD patients are not "typical".
My emotions are so raw about this that I am not sure I can think as straight as usual. Anesthesia just frightens me because I think it is linked to the onset or acceleration of symptoms of LBD for John.
Everybody, please keep us in your prayers. Compared to so many of you farther along in the journey, this probably seems small. But fear of a new baseline is with me for the next few days.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Pat, you and John will be in my prayers! I had oral surgery--removal of a root canal tooth--a few years ago and opted for just local [novacaine]. The oral surgeon was surprised and said the sound of the tooth cracking might be disturbing. I said I'd rather hear it than be under an anesthetic. Yes, it was noisy--it did snap off--but at least I was awake! It went fine. Do you think it's overkill?

When Derek had his suprapubic catheter inserted a few months ago he did fine with just Versed and a local.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Robin, Jeanne, Ger, all,
Thanks for the warm welcome back - I am healing slowly but surely!
I had a great anesthesiologist and surgeon who were both interested deeply in protecting my cognition.....

Pat, I have an upcoming tooth extraction too - I wish you the best - Talk very strongly with the anesthesiologist/oral surgeon about how important it is to be conservative with the meds....I so understand your anxiety over it - I actually think I might be more anxious about the tooth extraction anesthesia than the abdominal surgery if you can believe that....

Best wishes,

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Oh, Tonya, I am sorry I forgot to respond to your last post. I am glad you are doing better.

I was bouncing off every available surface emotionally yesterday!

After conferring with our children and with friends who recently had extractions done by this doc (who is excellent by reputation) with only local anesthesia, we decided to opt for local. Once that was decided I felt calmer right away.

Appt is 9am tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes for John, Tonya.

And Pat, I will tell John if he hears a crack not to be alarmed. Thank you for that detail that could make a difference.

Thanks for any and all prayers, dear people!

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:02 pm

I always listen to music through earphones at the dentist. I bring my own disks or he has some, too. It distracts me from what is going on.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next