View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Mepergan Reaction 

Post Mepergan Reaction
Mother-in-law was diagnosed last year with early-mid stage LBD. She had some outpatient surgery on Thursday. I informed the Anesthesiologist about her LBD - - he had never heard of it. She came thru surgery just fine, no problems. Friday she felt fine, even went to get her hair done. Last night at 7 pm I spoke with her by phone and her speech was slurred, but she did make sense during the conversation. I thought she was just having a dry mouth.

During the night she began having hallucinations, she fell, she sees worms crawling on the table, and she threw clothes all over the house. She took a mepergan pain pill before bed time.

Mepergan has been taken away from her now. Hopefully the hallucinations will stop. Since it is a narcotic, it can cause hallucinations. Probably she is more receptive to hallucinations due to LBD.

I just wanted others to be aware that Mepergan may intensify the hallucinations in a LBD person. Last year she was given Percocet and had hallucinations as well.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:37 am
I am sorry your Mother in law is going through this, you say that the Dr never heard of LBD and this is the case with many many health care professionals, My advice is to copy info and carry it with you at all times, it really does come in handy when the need arises, just a simple ER visit , it could save a great deal , also as far as the new Hallucinations, I am glad the med was taken away very fast hopefully not much damage and she will stop with the hallucinations but also maybe you want to consider possible infection if things don't change, good luck! keep us posted! :)

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:50 am

Post Meperegan Reaction
Thanks for you quick reply Irene. Actually the reason I mentioned LBD to the Anethesiologist was because I believe it was you who mentioned that in a previous post. I knew so many people, including doctors, have never heard of LBD. I did find it discouraging though to know that he hadn't heard of it, but he wrote it on his 'scrubs' and said he would check into it prior to her surgery. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. He never returned to tell me anything. Another example of healthcare problems in the industry. More communication is necessary. This hospital is big on providing excellent patient care and seem more fanatic about receiving a survey back about how wonderful their services were.

Can you further explain your comment about possible infection?

By the way, the Sequel has been very helpful in keeping her LBD from getting worse - - until this episode last night.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:04 am

This is Eric, responding as Jon while my account is being approved...

Mepergan is a combo drug that would be Very Bad News for someone with LBD - the opiate component (Demerol) is bad enough, but the kicker is the anti-nausea additive, promethazine, AKA Phenergan. It's a potent anti-cholinergic, and anticholinergics are bad for people with LBD.

When dealing with the healthcare professionals in dad's life, we now say "LBD, which is a Parkinson's-like disease of the frontal lobes, and he's extremely sensitive to anticholinergic effects". That generally cues them in a little better.

I hope your mom recovers well. You might want to talk with your pharmacist about setting up an "allergy alert" in her record that will flag on anticholinergics.

Eric

My 84 yo father has LBD

Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:36 pm
Welcome to the LBD forums, Thank you for what you wrote, it is very important information, All People With LBD should be very careful with all meds, so many react differently to them. I will say I am sorry to meet yet another family dealing with LBD.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:01 pm

Post List of Bad Meds for LBDers
See Phenergan (promethazine) in the list below.

This list was distributed by Carol C. at the recent FL symposium. According to LBDcaregivers, "this list orginally
was for Parkinson's entitled "Dr. Van Gerpen's* Handout":

Medicines LBD Patients Should Never Take

Medicines for nausea, vomiting and other GI problems:
Reglan (metoclopramide)
Phenergan (promethazine)
Compazine (prochlorperazine)

Medicines for psychiatric problems:
Thorazine (chlorpromazine)
Prolixin (fluphenazine)
Haldol (haloperidol)
Loxitane (loxapine)
Serentil (mesoridazine)
Moban (molindone)
Trilafon (perphenazine)
Triavil (amitriptyline + Perphenazine)
Risperdol (risperidone)
Mellaril (thioridazine)
Navane (thiotixene)
Stelazine (trifluoperazine)
Asendin (amoxapine)

* Dr. Jay Van Gerpen, director of the Movement Disorder Clinic, part of the Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans.

I'm unclear if Dr. VG wrote this, if it was meant to be bad meds for PDers, if the MDs at the FL symposium approved it, and who presented it at the symposium.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:27 am
Post thank you for List!
I very much appreciate this list. I've been told by Assoc. I'll receive CD (?) From recent meeting. Don't know if that is what my contact meant, but we have been living in fear for quite some time over anesthesias.

If Benadryl is a problem, I'm knocking myself for not understanding possibilities of my Husband's illness earlier on. He took Benadryl a decade until sleep center a year ago told him to stop: he felt he could knock himself out and take care of sinus problems. I am devastated if along w/ other anesthesias lately, this brought on such an early beginning to his LBD w/ Parkinsonism.

All I know is *topical* anesthesia for a FNA biopsy of two thyroid nodules brought a real downward spiral even my Husband realized. Our local neuro at time had philosophy "what has to be done, must be done."
Dr. Boeve at Mayo differs, but will, his nurse clinician told us, before endo, colonoscopy, advise strongly against any general.

My Husband's experience w/ the 1/2 dose versed and some Fentanyl, we now realize, caused another several month deterioration that *may* be stopping.

Apparently we are told, the Fentanyl was the problem.

Just getting a tiny ativan amt. IV, by the way, early on, due to MRi claustrophobia, put him to sleep several days, even while on IV Solumedrol, when it was thought he might have MS, long time ago. We could (medical personnel as well) not understand it.

In above posr, could "V" mean Versed or Diprovan, used often?

The only other "intelligent" thing I can add, is Irene, in my Maternal Aunts and Paternal Grandmother, breaking a hip, or hip replacement *did* in fact cause otherwise healthy women (we think) to spiral downward, never return to normal, ultimately to pass away.

(I have had due to arthritis, both hip and knee replacement suggested to me, but pray never to do that, even as young as 50.

We just don't know.

Again, I appreciate reading about possible way to add to my Husban's Medic Alert bracelet. Another fear of mine is an accident or emergency surgery, and my not being there. Hoping to educate the family w/ all the info. Here.

Take care, have a good day.
Love Always, WifeLiz

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:23 pm

Where are you located? I there a local support group in your area?

The LBDA will be sending you a DVD from the Jan '06 FL symposium.

I couldn't figure out what you were referring to with this question: "In above posr, could "V" mean Versed or Diprovan, used often?"

Robin

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:35 pm
Post Hi Robin
Dear Robin,
Thank you. I have had few interactions other than posting as I am new.Thank you Again, and Hello.

I live in Southern FL, near Fort Lauderdale. DE is listed as well, because when my Husband is able (less and less) we go to a new apt. there. Our Mothers live there as well. It also brings us somewhat closer to homes of our two Daughters, so though we are not Snowbirds,as called in FL, we do go North sometimes.(Very cold now there!) I will PM you our exact address(es).

Re the "V" versed response, I started this line of posts, then was immediately struck by this list. So terribly helpful.
I had intended to post above, and I believe it is in the line of posts before this topic. I'll check.

Thank you again, so much, esp. for the post and offer of the DVD. We must contribute something for this?!
(Just gave to LBDA, again, so thankful)
Love Always, WifeLiz

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]