View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Parkinson's Side Of Things Part II 

Post Parkinson's Side Of Things Part II
Hi everyone - My mom has both PD and LBD. She has taken Sinemet (carbidopa/levadopa) for movement issues for the same amount of time she has taken Razadyne for the LBD. The best place in my opinion to find info about these two concurrent, often overlapping diseases is the National Parkinson Foundation website. Its "Ask The Doctors" forum is staffed by 3 nationally recognized PD docs who by nature of their work are extremely familiar with LBD. They and many others often recommend
Sinemet for the PD symptoms. Many of the other PD meds are just too much for those with LBD. They also often recommend one of the atypical antipsychotics, most often Seroquel (quetiapine) when there is danger the Sinemet may exacerbate the dementia behavior (hallucinations, paranoia, etc.). This has worked for my mom, who is extremely sensitive to meds, as are many LBDers.

And of course adding meds is always done slowly and carefully with intense observation. Be sure the LOs doctor is experienced with all aslpects of LBD, including the parkinson features.

Best to you all,

Lin

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]