View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Burning Mouth 

Post Burning Mouth
Have any of you dealt with Burning Mouth? My mom has experienced a burning in her mouth for about 2 moths. She says it feels like she has a burning potato on her tongue. I did a bit of research and it sounds like Burning Mouth Syndrome. She wakes up in the morning and she's fine, but the burning progresses as the day goes on. Her primary care physician put her through a regimen of Thrush medicine as well as put her on a saliva producing medicine. Nothing has worked. We took her to her dentist to see if she had a dental issue. He couldn't find anything to cause her discomfort. I asked her Pharmacologist to look at her meds to see if any of the new ones were reacting with the old ones. He's stumped. She is on Namenda, Zyprexa, Lithium, Omoprexal (spelling) Ativan, Loranzepan, Marplan. She is getting herself so worked up emotionally that it's all she can think/talk about. Just wondering if any of you had dealt with this??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:44 am

Can you try a bit of anbesol or other gum/tooth numbing OTC medication on her tongue to help relieve the burning? Maybe popsicles -- some flavor she really loves? It may not resolve the problem, but there might be enough of a placebo effect to give her a bit of relief. Good luck!

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:16 pm

This recently-published case report is related to burning mouth syndrome....

Revue Neurologique (Paris). 2009 Dec 30. [Epub ahead of print]

[Atypical Lewy body disease revealed by burning mouth syndrome and a pseudo-psychiatric syndrome.]
[Article in French]

Varvat J, Thomas-Anterion C, Decousus M, Perret-Liaudet A, Laurent B.
Service de neurologie, CHU Nord, Saint-Etienne cedex, France.

INTRODUCTION: Among the degenerative diseases of the nervous system, Lewy body disease has the most psychiatric symptoms especially hallucinations, delusion and identification disorders.

CASE REPORT: We report a case of Lewy body disease that started with a burning mouth syndrome for three year as the only symptom before the development of a pseudo-psychiatric syndrome (melancholy and Capgras). None of the usual cardinal criteria were present. MRI, cerebrospinal fluid, and DAT scan((R)) findings enabled the diagnosis.

CONCLUSION: The dopaminergic hypothesis put forward in some cases of burning mouth syndrome might explain this symptom in Lewy body disease.

PMID: 20045161

Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:57 pm

My mom has that too. It goes along with her dry mouth, which is a side effect from her meds. It got to be so bad I took her to the dentist. The Dentist told us it has been dry for so long because of her meds it has made her mouth exxtremly painful. We got some dry mouth gel to put in her mouth. All around her gums and her tougn. It has helped her. SHe doesn't complain about it anymore and she is eating a little better. When she eats .
Hope this helps.
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:02 pm

http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-edge- ... r-05a.html

Their is a link here for burning mouth syndrom. Hope it comes through and helps.
Variety Of Treatments Available To Reduce Discomfort From Burning Mouth Syndrome
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:24 am

There is a product OTC called Biotene, not sure if it will help with the Burning mouth syndrome but thought I would mention it, they have tooth paste and a mouth rinse!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:53 pm
Profile WWW

They used to make a product called 'Salivart', by prescription, which was much more effective than the OTC types. Maybe you could ask her doctor if he could order some.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Garnet

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]