View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Coconut Oil 

Post Update
Hi everyone:
I've really missed being on the board, but I've been so busy these last few weeks with my DH, my daughter here to recover from her hospitalization (she took a flight here after her discharge) & my fragile 93 year old mom. I'm happy to say that I've been managing to stay afloat without too many problems, knock wood! I've been anxious to get back about the coconut oil. I discontinued it on 2/28 because my LO had gained 12 pounds & was always hungry! And of course after a week without it, he became less ravenous! But he also showed a significant change in his demeanor. He became more apathetic, less alert & much less social especially with me. His constant companion day & night, the TV! Then last w/end I noticed he was becoming more irritable at night & even tho' he seemed happy to have our daughter, here he remained impassive. I do believe that it has really helped & altho' he denies feeling not so good, he was happy to hear I had made the coconut oil "fudge" & that we were going to try it again. On some level I think that he realizes he felt better taking it. It's probably wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that using it in the chocolate & maybe cooking with it (not exceeding the 4 Tbs. per day)he won't get as hungry as when he ate it "straight" with his sandwich plus condiment.

I'm looking forward to exploring the websites suggested by others so that I can learn more about it. Meantime, we expect to have DH retested by the psychologist late in the spring to see if we can shed anymore light on a definate diagnosis. It will be interesting if nothing else. I will consider us most fortunate if he stays the same for awhile as I've only become reconciled to things these past few months. Isn't it tough when you are doing this virtually all alone? My kids are good listeners, but they are so far away & have their own lives. I'm just trusting & have faith that somehow we'll manage. BTW, I hope this post will be helpful.

Oh and another important thing: I'm not sure if the coconut oil has anything to do with it, but my LOs gait has become much worse. His gait is very guarded now & when he gets up from the chair he pauses to gain his balance before he begins to walk. Personally, I think he's shuffling more & what's the most obvious is that every step is deliberate & thought-out........it's the only way I can explain it. To me this is very "Parkison"-like. Dee

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:26 pm

I had hubby on 2 tablespoons of coconut oil for about two weeks. The only thing I noticed different, is that he got up every night about midnight and came to sleep in my bed and he was always hungry. At least he wasn't up till 3 or 4 am which he has done before.

I quit giving him coconut oil because he got a throat problem. Lots of phlegm and his voice was like laryrigitis and running a low temp. Wow, did his hallucinations come back with vengeance! I talked to neurologist and we decided to just watch him (neuro thought it might just be a viral bug that anti biotics would be of no value.). Emergency is open 24/7 if needed!! I started giving him Mucinex every 12 hours. So a week later, he seems to be better. Back to little hallucinations that are tolerable.

I probably will not put him back on coconut oil, but I will use up what I purchased. I found I could add it to mashed potatoes instead of butter, and you could not detect the taste. Of course, I add lots of garlic to my mashed potatoes too. lol

Karen

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:26 pm

Also check the MCT oil topics on this forum posted by "benhaskell".

Thank you for the plug.

My father died from complications of Diabetes, A Urinary Catheter, Bedsores, Dysphagia and Dyspepsia, and Lewy Body Dementia this 7:50 PM March 18, 2009. All of these led to pneumonia for about two to three days, and then he died. I wished I could have concentrated on the nutritional aspects of beating LBD, but I had to divert myself in trying to come up with remedies for urinary tract infections, bedsores, dysphagia, dyspepsia. I should have focused a little more on diabetes - we should have had some insulin on hand, and I wish we had some sort of chart that would have told us to increase his diabetic medicine at certain blood glucose thresholds. This kept me off the list for the past few months. We live in semi-rural Oregon; the Home Health service was valiant, but I think that they are under trained and not enough supervision by the local doctors. We will list this Lewy Body Dementia Association in the local Obits if anyone wishes to give a memorial gift. Dad gave Mom a smile a few hours before he died; he recognized us up to the last few days, but was in a morphine daze towards the end, so I don't know about me. I was with him at the very moment of death; he died during sleep but with labored breathing. He died at home, as he wanted.

Lets not hijack this thread into condolences for my dad; I'm just explaining my absence. In 1-2 weeks I hope to make some more posts about coconut & MCT oils; but also about Dad's other conditions that may have contributed to his death.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:58 am

Sorry to hear of the passing of your dad and my sympathies to your family. Prayers go out to all of you.

Dianne.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:44 am

My condolences on the passing of your father. I'm glad his passing was peaceful and at home.

Your experience was ours: you get so encumbered by dealing with specific symptoms and issues (eg, UTI) that you can't do anything else. The whole experience is exhausting.

Best wishes to you and your family during this time,
Robin

(Sorry but the hijacking is underway... I don't see that you've posted about this elsewhere.)

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:20 am

Sorry for the passing of your dad, I do extend my deepest condolences to you and your family, I know the release is bitter sweet, but the one thing we can be sure of is the suffering is over for him.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:08 pm
Profile WWW

Post Coconut oil
I too have tried coconut oil. If I recall correctly, the article recommended 3 tablespoons a day. It looked like my husband was gaining weight on that regimen, which he does not need to do to put it mildly (he must be 300 lbs now, though tall -- or should I say long -- and big-boned). So I went to 2 tbsp. That may be less effective, though.

In my experience it made my husband distinctly physically stronger but did not diminish his confusion. A small daily dose of Namenda has made him a lot calmer and more present, although he still does not know where he is. He can be so social and interactive, especially with "outsiders" and in short bursts, that he nearly got himself thrown off hospice.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:22 am

Do any of you who have tried coconut oil have information to offer as to its benefits if any?

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:18 am

Post post subject
We too have been using a very careful dose of coconut oil. I would hate to miss out on something altogether and at the same time do any further harm like blood fats. My sweet man lost 12 pounds when all this dementia surfaced, and his weight was normal before that, so a little extra weight won't hurt him although he hasn't gained anything.
Mary

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:52 am

I"m giving my LO a square of the simplest chocolate-bit coconut oil frozen fudge every day, so he's probably getting a tablespoon or so. Can't tell if it's helping, but at his last neuro/psyco yearly test there was very little decrease except in concentration level.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.".....Thoreau

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:56 am

I have to bump this thread back up to the top. After finding this thread on March 7, and deciding, "hey, what can it hurt?" I made the coconut oil fudge the same day and gave my mother one square that day. She's now been eating one square a day for 3 weeks, I think after 2 weeks my dad added a second square, making 2 tbsp per day. For about 4 weeks prior to that she was declining rapidly. It was shocking my father and I to see how quickly she was declining. Thus, when I read about the coconut oil, we were desperate. Both my father and I agree there is no doubt she has stopped declining, and we both think she is getting a little better. I think the improvement has come more in the physical symptoms for her, she is walking better, no longer using a cane. She got up out of the car 2 days ago without even holding on to the car door handle. "Look, ma, no hands!" was what I said to myself when I watched her. I was very surprised, because she really had to struggle to pull herself up and out a few weeks ago. I don't see a noticeable improvement in the dementia symptoms, at least not yet.

I was able to make the fudge the same day, because I happened to have coconut oil in my house. About a month before, I had been doing some natural health reading, and had read that coconut oil was good to regulate your thyroid. Since I had recently been told that mine was a little underactive, I bought some at Whole Foods, and was putting about a tbsp in my oatmeal in the morning when I made it, which was only about once a week. That's all I had done with the coconut oil until I read this thread.

Since then, I've read a lot more about coconut oil. It is supposed to have anti-bacterial, viral and fungal properties. Someone in this thread said they stopped giving it because they developed some symptoms like mucas, etc. After having read a book (written by Fife) it seems that that does make sense. It is the coconut oil getting rid of an infection in our body. It is said that you could have a "health crisis" when you first start to use coconut oil, but to try to get through it, and you will get better. As far as the weight gain concerns, that goes against what Fife says. He's more concerned with hydrogenated oils and polyunsaturated oils causing all the obesity in this country. He says the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are not the same as saturated fat in meat. And if you think about it, people living in tropical countries have been using it for hundreds of years and are not having the obesity problems we're having.

So right now, unless someone has something bad to say to persuade me otherwise, I'm becoming a big fan of coconut oil. My method of making the fudge is to melt one cup of oil in a small pan over very low heat on the stovetop (I read that microwaving it will change the chemical makeup). When that melts I add one cup of cocoa powder and 3/8 cup of agave nectar to the pan, (having turned the burner off as soon as it has almost melted). I put wax paper in an 8 x 8 pan, pour it in, let it harden in the refridge. Then cut into 16 squares and each will be exactly one tablespoon. The virgin oil does taste like coconut, the ones that don't say virgin do not have a taste. You can also melt it by setting the plastic tub that it comes in in a pan filled with hot tap water. It melts pretty quickly. Then you can measure out your cup.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Cindy, Are there only 3 ingred. in you fudge?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:11 am

Post post subject
Cindy
I too have been giving my LO some coconut oil daily. I keep thinking, it might be my wishful thinking, but it seems he has been quite stable lately. I only give him 1T a day. (-+) and have been thinking about making the fudge, (he loves fudge) but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Mostly I take out a clump and melt it in his oatmeal, or stir it in his eggs or use it instead of butter. I just keep thinking "what have I got to lose?"

What is agave nectar? Is there anything else that can be used like honey?

Also I am interested in reading that book by Fife. Would it be possible to get more information on that?
Thanks
Mary

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:44 am

yes, there are only 3 ingredients in the fudge. I use the Agave because it is supposed to be low glycemic and my mother is diabetic. This recipe is not sugary like fudge you'd buy on the boardwalk, it's a very rich chocolate, more like ganache or truffles.

Bruce Fife has written several books, I had to buy them on Amazon, my library didn't have them.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks for the input.
I think I will try the coconut oil again. I still have some in the cupboard.
But this time in your recipe for fudge. I did not know agave was such a good alternative for sugar. Hubby loves chocolate. He is also a diabetic.

Karen

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next