View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Coconut Oil 

Yes I have tried coconut oil with IMHO, good results. After alot of research into the subject & telling the gero-psych dr. (no objections) we started LO on 2 tsps. in Nov. & increased to 4 tsps. (recommended in the article) after about 3 weeks. I noticed he was more agreeable & more social with me. But after a few days on 4 tsps. I went back to 2 tsps. He became more alert in the evenings & said some hateful things & didn't fall asleep as easily as usual. He's back to agreeable & social on 2 tsps. & I intend to keep him on that. I mix it with mustard or mayo in an afternoon sandwich & he willingly takes it. We have talked about why he's taking it("makes you feel better & more alert.") & he agrees that that has happened. I also told the family doctor & he encouraged us to continue it. I have every intention of emailing the physician who wrote the article, but haven't got to it yet. If we are lucky to maintain his present state of mind, I will be very happy. Dee

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:02 pm

What a good idea to mix it with mustard or mayo on the lunch sandwich.

What kind did you buy and from where? I have talked to hubby about trying this and he is receptive to trying. Just needed your post for encouragement!

Karen

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi Karen: In the beginning I was giving him coconut oil that I found in the organic foods section at the grocery store. Well in a month the price went from $6 to $8 & then later to $9! Well, I remembered that the dr. who wrote the article said she purchased hers very inexpensively at Walmart so I went there & found it in the baking section with all the other oils. I showed it to the pharmacist & he assured me that it was what I was looking for altho' he was surprised when I explained why. Being concerned that the label did not say "extra or even virgin or organic coconut oil," I did some further research & feel that its good. BTW, it cost approximately $2.97 for 31.5 ounces (approx. 1 qt) compared to $9 for about a half pint. It is a saturated fat, non-hydrogenated oil, but doesn't contain trans fat or cholesterol because it is from a plant vs. an animal.

This past week I just have one concern that I thought I'd mention to the dr. who wrote the article via email. I've noticed that the past month my husband has gained alot of weight (12#) & is eating alot more than he should. At first I assumed the appetite increase was from the risperdal (side effect) but,aapparentaly, coconut oil affects the thyroid in someway which increases metabolism & there is lots of info on the internet about using it for dieting. In fact there was a feature recently on local TV about this. I heard that the discussion included ways to get 4 tsps. into the diet by adding it to muffins or using it like oil in food preparation. So perhaps this is affecting my husband so dramatically because he's so sedentary. Not sure what to do if this is the case. We do see the gero-psych dr. on Tuesday, but I'm pretty sure he'll dismiss the whole thing. He's mostly just interested in my LOs behavior. If you're interested in further info just email me or post again. BTW, the brand is LouAna Dee

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks for the information. My hubby has been super hungry lately too. I think he has gained some excess weight too.
We've been using extra virgin olive oil since he was dx'd as diabetic which also has some saturated fat.

He has an appt with a new geriatric physician in about a month so maybe I'll hold off till we see him. Or maybe not. I like what I've been reading about coconut oil.

Karen

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Is your husband taking Seroquel? If so, perhaps that accounts for the weight gain. See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/28/business/28drug.html
Robin

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:34 am

Post Coconut Oil
Just had lunch & talked about the coconut oil & the weight gain with my DH. He agrees that his appetite has increased alot over the past 2 weeks, but of course he can't seem to understand that he has to eat less. I'm finding food gone from the 'fridge especially the extras I set aside for my mom. (my sister & I see to it that she has plenty of food so she doesn't use the stove.) Anyway I gave him to option of not using the coconut oil for about a week-10 days to see if the appetite will be easier to control & also to see if he notices a change in how he "feels." He agreed to do so. Meantime I'm going to email the doctor who wrote the article to see if she's seen this in her DH. Dee

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks for the link. I do not think the weight gain is from seroquel as he has been on the same high dosage for almost 3 years.

I was thinking it might be the namenda. That's the only new thing added in the last month. He's also been very, very sleepy. Sleeps 10 - 12 hours at night and has to nap in the day. Or is it a change in the illness?

Dee -

Went out and purchased coconut oil today. Walmart didn't have any and I had to go to two other stores to find it. All they had was the solid kind that looks like Crisco. Very pricey! But I bought it and spread it on his pita bread for lunch. He never noticed the difference! That's good because coconut oil is supposed to be very good for you if you are a diabetic too!

Maybe it's just the hint of spring that our LO's have become so hungry!

Karen

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:31 pm

Extreme fatigue is part of PD and PD-related disorders, such as LBD.

To see if weight gain is a possible side effect of Namenda, check a website such as rxlist.com or drugs.com.

Robin

Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:36 pm

I ran across this discussion while searching for more information about Dr. Newport and her experiements with giving her husband coconut oil. I think I can help you with some additional information.

Dr. Newport has been posting messages about this on the Alzheimer's association discussion forum. Here is a link to one of the threads she has contributed to:
http://alzheimers.infopop.cc/eve/forums ... 8891005443

She has also created an informational web site about this which includes her articles,a blog and contact information.
http://coconutketones.com/

Here are a couple of "coconut oil fudge" recipes that have appeared on the Alz.org forum:

This recipe for a "no-bake" chocolate "fudge" might be an interesting way to work coconut oil into someone's diet. I think it would be particularly useful for someone who is underweight and needs the calories.

Made-in-Minutes No-Cook Fudge
INGREDIENTS
1 cup virgin coconut oil, room temperature
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup honey

DIRECTIONS
1. Lightly grease 8x8 inch baking dish. [Haven't needed to do this.]
2. Pour the coconut oil into a bowl, and sift in the cocoa, stirring to blend evenly. Stir in the honey, and mix until smooth. Spread mixture into prepared dish, and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Cut into 1 inch squares. [I suggest using a square pan, freeze until totally solid so the slab can be popped out onto wax paper. Let it warm up to room temp (but less than 77°F or it WILL melt!), then cutting into 16 equal squares, yielding 1 Tbsp CO per square. Re-freeze the squares until needed.]

Another recipe is to melt 1 cup of CO in a double boiler (I use a 2-cup measuring cup in a pan of water), then melt in enough chocolate chips to raise the level to 2 cups total. Then follow the other directions above.

I hope you find this information useful.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:08 pm

Thank you for posting this additional information. I found it very informative.

Karen

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 pm

swarfmaker (aka sterradian, aka Bill Ward),

I see you've been posting a link to this particular topic on various online support groups, indicating that those with LBD seem to be helped by coconut oil.

It seems that THREE people here are using coconut oil with their loved ones who have LBD. A fourth person gave coconut oil to her husband but he didn't like the taste. Three people do not make a trend. And I doubt any of the three would say that they are conducting their evaluation of coconut oil in any scientific way.

One thing you are probably not aware of is that most (70%) of those with LBD also have AD (often called the "Lewy body variant of Alzheimer's disease). So it's unclear *IF* there is any benefit to coconut oil is it a benefit for those with pure LBD or a benefit for those with LBD/AD only.

Robin

Others -
I'd suggest following Dee's lead and discuss the use of coconut oil, MCT, or cinnamon (one of swarfmaker's other favorite supplements) with a physician involved in treating someone with LBD.
Robin

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:17 pm

Being someone who is always looking for natural remedies, I am very interested in trying the coconut oil for my mom who has LBD. I have coconut oil myself, I use it as a moisturizer, however, if you are taking it orally, do you melt it first?, because mine is in solid form, like lard, or do you just swallow it the way it is?[/code]

Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:08 am

Coconut oil melts at 77°F, so if you even look at it too hard, you're going to have a mess on your hands!

See above for a "coconut oil fudge" recipe. That's what we've been using. Here is an interesting recipe from CarolynJM on the Alz.org forum:

"I have been reading the responses on this web site for about 6 months, and appreciate all of the information. This is my first imput. My husband has AD. Today I found a delicious way to use the coconut oil & the MCT oil.
(1) box of 1.5 OZ sugar free chocolate
pudding mix (the mix that you cook--NOT INSTANT).
(2) 1 1/2 cups soy milk (instead of the listed 2 cups milk)
(3) 1/4 cup MCT oil
(4) 1/4 cup coconut oil (to measure this solid oil--put 1/2 cup water into the measuring cup & submerge the oil on a spoon until the water level in the cup reaches 3/4 cup).
(5) Cook as directed on package
(6)Divide into 4 containers--each will have
2 tablespoons of oil. Use 1/2 of a container 2 times a day to get 2 tablespoons of oil a day.

This tastes very good, and one problem may be wanting to eat too much. Carolyn
http://alzheimers.infopop.cc/eve/forums ... 2#48610652

I haven't tried that one myself, but I thought you might like to have it.

Other people put it in other food, or use it in cooking instead of other fats and oils. This seems like a good idea to me. If you are going to eat fats anyway, you might as well eat one that might do some good.

If you don't like the coconut smell and taste of extra virgin coconut oil, you can find a "more experienced" processed coconut oil. Some Walmart supercenters stock such an oil. The brand name is LouAna. I've seen 31oz for <$6. Some report seeing it for even half that.

Most people seem to use about 2 Tbsp per day, but they have to experiment to find the right amount. You want enough to work, but not more. At 2 Tbsp/day, 32 oz of CO would last 32 days. If you try it for 2 months, at worse you would be out $12.

Please look into this more, and read Dr. Newport's web site http://coconutketones.com There are alternatives to using coconut oil if increased fat consumption is a problem. I'm just telling you where to find the books in the library. It's up to you to read them.

Also keep in mind that you are performing an experiment, doing the work that medical research has been slow to take on. Experiments start with an idea, "Hey, I wonder if...", so you try something, and sometimes it works, sometimes the results send you back to the drawing board. Success comes from looking at what you did, looking at the results, and then coming up with something else to try. That's the "scientific method" and you don't need to be a scientist to do it. It would be nice to be able to go to a neurologist and have them tell you what to do. But they don't seem to know either. So you are left with the choice of either doing nothing, or trying something. If that "something" is reasonable, I say, what do you have to lose? I mean, if someone says, "Go to this clinic in China for stem cell therapy", or "Pay me $40,000 per year for perispinal Enbrel injections", I need more proof. But if someone says, "Go buy a can of this stuff from Walmart for $6", I'm much more willing give it a try.

("Shhhhh!", he said in a barely audible wisper, "Coconut oil is not our last hope. There are others.")

Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:43 am

Post Axona
Hi, I've run some quick research on Ketasyn, the drug that prompted Dr. Newton's article and it appears that Accera, the drug company, has now released the final version of the product (as a medical food, not as a drug, which I understand involves a quicker approval process), under the name Axona. Here is the link: http://www.about-axona.com/
It seems this is already available in the US.
I am really interested in this coconut oil story and will bring it up with my family and the doctor - it would be so so great if this could do some good to my mum. Blessings to you all. Sofia

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:00 pm

Also check the MCT oil topics on this forum posted by "benhaskell".

I found a product from the supplement manufacturer Twinlab called "MCT Fuel" at my local health food store. It is actually sold to body builders for a quick energy lift, or so they say on the bottle.

When I checked on Amazon.com, I found several MCT oil products available.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next