View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Nursing Home / Care Facility Move? 

Post Nursing Home / Care Facility Move?
For those of you who may have moved their loved one to a nursing home or other care facility --

1) Have you seen a change in their behavior, good or bad?

2) My Dad wanders and yells for my Mom, or sometimes stands in the hallway yelling while trying to "hold up the walls that are falling". Has this type of behavior decreased or increased in your loved one after their move?

3)Does your loved one have a room mate and has that helped or hindered him/her?

We're seriously looking at moving my Dad, much as we hate to, and I wonder what other folks have seen regarding symptoms and acting out following a move. Thanks for any responses!

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Post Re: Nursing Home / Care Facility Move?
My husband's behavior didn't change after placement. The first year and a half he had a private room but now has a roommate--a very sweet, quiet man. They don't converse as far as I know but neither has their proximity been a problem. I help take care of the roommate when I'm there, too.

Since my husband saw our house as 'not our house', anyway, the move seemed not to confuse him further. He thinks I live in the nursing home, too, but in a different room. :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:08 pm

My dad became much less social when he moved to the ALF, but he had started becoming less social anyway about a year prior to moving as the disease was changing his personality. Moving can be very traumatic for people anyway, and having lived in one place for a long time, then the disease on top of that, it can make things worse for a while. If you are considering moving your dad, it wouldn't be wise, IMHO, to have the expectation that his behavior will improve. Generally people will place their LO because they physically and/or mentally can no longer provide the kind of care that the person needs. There may be safety issues, transfer issues, etc.

It may not be time to move your LO yet, but if you have facilities checked out and get his name on a wait list, that will be a help when the time comes. Then you won't have to make a move in a crisis without having time to gather data about which is the right place for him. Good luck, Lynn

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Excellent advice, Lynn!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Wow...I sent my mother to rehab at the best five stat facility I could find. It took a year to get in. It caused a rapid increase in hallucinations, delusions, etc. She was calling 911 every chance she got. She insisted on going to another facility which could not meet her needs as well We gave in because she was calling 911, and throwing horrific fits to get out constantly. Move her and she was even worse. Finally after a hospital admission, was put on Seroquel which helped....which no longer helps. Now on Zyprexa and is 100% confused....just came off Risperdal which was a BAD scene...she lost her memory on it...Now her Dr is saying it's a trade-off...you can't have it both ways....either a memory and "scared out of her wits with fearful delusions" OR no memory of "place". Uggh What a terrible position to be in. Her Dr. has recommended I now get her on waiting lists for skilled care since she is rapidly declining. She has become a 2 person assist and I don't know how much longer the AL can handle her.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:14 pm

It is a terrible position to be in! In my experience any kind of a change for anyone with mild dementia to LBD is traumatic and takes at least three months to adjust to a new situation. The move throws everything off.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:22 am

My 63 year old wife is scheduled to be transferred to a different nursing facility, five star rated, in the same town within the week.
I'd put her name on their waiting list about 18 months ago anticipating a likely move someday. The decision to transition to a SNF came much sooner than I'd thought when combative behavioral issues proved too difficult to manage with home care aides, her son and myself. She was stabilized and evaluated in the psych ward of a regional hospital in early January. They recommended placement in long term care and facilitated transport to the NH she is currently in, having the only opening available in our community at that time. They were able to scale back the dosage of Zyprexa which then seemed to help keep her awake for longer periods.
I am more than a little apprehensive about moving her given the possibility of causing further decline I've read about. The staff seems to provide adequate care and is able to feed her regularly, although she has lost the ability to walk and spends day time hours in a geri chair. The facility is privately owned, older and smaller than where she will be moved, a county owned facility recently remodeled and expanded. My wife's step father has recently moved there as well so I'm thinking that may be a plus.
Comparing both facilities on websites makes the new one seem the logical choice with 4 and 5 star ratings, to an average of 3 stars for the older home.
I can only hope I've made the right decision but I'll be monitoring things as closely as I can. Any advice or experiences would be welcomed.
Cribcrab63

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:10 pm

I would anticipate that a move will create some upheaval in her cognitive abilities and emotional stability for at least few weeks, if not longer. If you know that is likely to happen, as it has to many of our LOs, it will not take you by surprise.

However, I have some questions for you: Have you or she experienced problems with the place she is in now? If so, are they problematic enough that you still want to move her? What will she/you gain by moving her? Is she relatively happy, and being well cared for in her current situation?

There will be issues at any and all facilities, I can pretty well guarantee. Many of us have had our LOs in the "best" facility in the area, wherever that may be. I daresay all or most of us have had some issues from time to time wherever our LOs are/have been. You will love how some of the staff take care of your wife, and there will be issues with some. This can happen at any facility, so I'd caution you to not expect perfection wherever she is living.

I wish you the best with the move if you still decide to move her to the other place. Having 2 members of the same family in 1 place would be a big plus probably for visiting family members. Lynn

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]