View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Crocheting 

Post Crocheting
Anyone out there crochet?
Connie

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Post Re: Crocheting
Hi; I have been teaching myself. There are lots of books. I got mine at Walmart. My book shows how to do all the stitches and akes it so easy. Hope this helps, Anne

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:51 pm

I have been crocheting for awhile. I recently read a book written by a woman who has health & mental problems and discovered crocheting as a therapy tool. In the book she talks about how crocheting has helped her and she has stories from other women who also use crocheting as therapy. She also has chapters on different health issues and the effect of crocheting on them; she quotes some sources on the topic. I don't recall the name of the book, but if you are interested in reading it I can look it up.
I have found that it is calming when dealing with my husbands "Lewy quirks". How about you, do you find it useful as therapy?
Connie

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:57 am

Hi; I haven't tried it as therapy. I guess anything that takes your mind off the difficulties of LBD is therapeutic. I find that meditation and prayer help me a great deal and I also find that when I do that, my whole day goes better. Anne

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:23 pm

I find the crocheting calms my mind so that I can pray.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:31 pm

I knit, does that count? I used to crochet, still do occasionally, but mostly as an embellishment for a knitting project. My current situation doesn't allow me much time for anything, and I miss it. I am working two jobs, plus have two small businesses out of my home, and whenever I am home, Mike wants me by his side as much as possible. I do try to knit in the evenings, but I used to crank out projects at an amazing rate.
I also find that the rhythm of knitting puts me into a sort of meditative, prayerful state. I love the tactile sensations of working with beautiful yarn, and creating something beautiful that I can give to someone or keep to wear myself. It also seems to calm Mike when I sit by him and knit while he is watching TV or something. It feels familiar and comforting to both of us.

Sat May 24, 2014 11:37 am

Crocheting/knitting are both yarn crafts, so it counts. Both are therapeutic . I find that after dealing with my husband's "sundowning " discussions the crocheting calms me down. I also love the feel of the yarn and all the lovely colors. I work, so do my crocheting in the evening.
Connie

Sat May 24, 2014 5:08 pm

I crochet with yarn, and I also do beadweaving. I found that when I was the respite caretaker for my Dad, the crocheting and beadwork put me into a meditative state, like Connie and ddaschel have both described - it allowed me to be patient with Dad's way of communicating, and to be better at "guessing" what he was trying to say. He also was very interested in some of the things I was making (it took him out of his disease and his hallucinations for a bit), so it created a different kind of conversation and energy between us.

Molly - Forum moderator. My dad's career as a geologist was interrupted by PD and LBD in 2009. I was a respite caregiver for my dad (lived out of state, but visited many times a year). He passed away peacefully in April 2014.

Mon May 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Great idea Molly! I think it's good for everybody to talk about something else!!

Fri May 30, 2014 2:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]