View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 ordered an autopsy "dementia work-up" only 

Post ordered an autopsy "dementia work-up" only
I wanted to share that I ordered an autopsy for my mother to confirm/deny the presence of Lewy bodies. I will share the result in and around 90 days. It was a challenge to find out how to do this. The Hospice social worker discovered the only place in the state of North Carolina that would do a private autopsy is Duke University for the cost of $1,500. I called the Pathology department and spoke to someone immediately who helped me arrange this along with the funeral home. It really bothered me knowing her entire brain had to be removed, but I was assured that her body would not be compromised for the viewing at her funeral, and it was not. She looked like herself. I learned that had she died at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital or any other, I could order an autopsy free of charge. Since she was a Hospice patient, I knew this would not be the case, so it took some careful planning. Well, knowing her brain can be used for research is somewhat comforting, if it helps even one person avoid this nightmare. I will definitely be sharing the results as soon as I hear something.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]