View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 After 

Post After
I've been thinking about what type of work I'd like to do after my husband passes and the only thing I can think of that makes any sense to me is to become a professional health advocate. From what I've read on this site and what I've seen at nursing homes there are a lot of elderly people out there whose families live out of state or who no longer have families, and these people need someone to advocate for them. So the market is there for someone like me to advocate for people who want to be treated with dignity and caring service.

Any feedback on my idea would be greatly appreciated.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Post Re: After
My grandmother's cousin had such a person; she had never married and lived to be 101. She was blessed with remarkably good health - totally intact cognitively till the day she died. But she became increasingly frail, had no close relatives (our family were the closest), and needed some help. The woman who became her advocate, for more than just health, had some legal training and was, I believe, affiliated with her lawyer's office. She was a wonderful assistant. I had met her before but she was a rock during the last week of M's life, when I had come to stay with her as she wanted family there. The advocate dealt with all kinds of junk - getting the doctor to stop by, having a night nurse, and the night M died, coming over to be with me and to deal with the various paperwork and some personal bequests (family mementoes) and arrangements. She had known M for many years by this time and was very fond of her, and she was also a huge help to M.

So I think it is a great idea - there are many areas where older people need help and advocates, and medical care is surely one. If to that one adds help with things like nursing home and such. it is a great field for making a difference, and goodness knows the need will grow, as the baby boomer cohort ages and many have no close relatives.

Laurel

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 am

You might find the position of nursing home ombudsman interesting. Here is a link to information. I think it pertains to TX but we have them here in WA, too: http://www.theseniorsource.org/pages/nursinghome.html#training

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 am

Beth,
I think anyway you can help others , young or old is great but the need for the aging population is certainly needed I often think of the many in Nursing homes where there is no family involved that they seem like the lost ones, almost like people have given up on them so I like your idea's and I know you are just tossing this around but if and when the time comes for your loss you must give yourself the time and space you will need to grieve before you can proceed to help others.

Good luck!

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]