View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Foot Swelling/ socks 

Post Foot Swelling/ socks
I wasn't really sure where to post this as it's not really a Lewy problem, so decided this was probably the best place. In addition to LBD my mom also has diabetes (which can cause blisters on her feet and legs), and Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) which causes swelling of her feet and legs. She also broke her left lower leg 3 1/2 years ago and it didn't heal correctly so her left foot is always more swollen than her right. With all of these issues I was having a really hard time putting her shoes and socks on and off, and it's really important for her to always wear shoes and socks because of her diabetes. Women's socks are just too tight especially on her left foot, so a few weeks ago I bought a couple pairs of men's sports socks ( the ones that come up to the ankle) just to try it out. What a difference! Every morning when I put them on I'm so happy that I thought of it. My mom wears a women's size 8 shoe so for someone with small feet this probably wouldn't work so well. I have been having problems with my right thumb (pain, swelling, and can't grip) so for me it had really become a painful chore to put on/take off her shoes and socks, and since I'm the only one here to do it, I had been really wracking my brain on this one issue. So if this will help one other person, I'll be very happy! :P

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:19 am

Post Re: Foot Swelling/ socks
Also, there are special socks for diabetics sold at places like www.footsmart.com. I found some for my mother about a year ago when she was having swelling in her feet and ankles. They worked very well.

Julianne

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:38 am

Ellen,

After my husband had back surgery he couldn't bend to put on socks or shoes and I got him this sock thing that a person can pull their own socks on from amazon I think - might help with your arthritic hands...It was called "sock aid with foam grip" ....I don't know if your Mother can pull her own socks but my husband was able to use it pretty quickly after the back surgery - it doesn't require much force at all....just a thought....

Glad you found a solution with the mens socks! Good thinking!

Take care,

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:56 am

Even WalMart sells 'diabetic socks' now.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Do the special socks come in different sizes? I bought 2 pairs for my dad and it was such a struggle to get them on I've only unsed them once... :(

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:48 pm

The website www.footsmart.com sells diabetic socks in several sizes according to shoe size, up to men's size 14.

Julianne

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]