View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 New cat for Mom 

Post New cat for Mom
After much deliberation, I went to the animal shelter today and got a 10yo cat to keep my Mother company. Kiki is a sweetheart. Definitely likes to be in a lap and/or being rubbed at all times! My sister sent me a picture this evening of Kiki sleeping with mom in her hospital bed. So far, she's made mom very happy even though I'm sure she won't always know who she is, where she came from, etc. Our hope is that Kiki will also be a good companion for my Father. He's very lonely now that Mom can't be the wife/mother she used to be. I know my pets are always a great source of comfort for me!

There were definitely many things to consider. Mom is wheelchair bound (since stroke Jan 2012) so we didn't have to worry about her tripping. I'm also in a position where I can bring the cat to my house if necessary. I went to the local animal shelter and they lit up right away when I said what I was looking for: an older cat who was very affectionate. Kiki was in the front window waiting for me! Everyone that met her loved her but always went for the younger cats at decision time.

I'm just so happy that we've found the right cat so easily! She even let me handle her paws. I was testing because I'll keep her nails clipped to keep Mom from getting accidentally scratched. Kiki is a 'kneader' when she's happy! She already has figured out when Mom is holding the fuzzy blanket on her lap, Mom wants her to jump up!

Mom has always loved having the pet therapy dogs visit when she's been in the hospital or rehab. She's also had several of our dogs and my sisters cat come for visits. My sister has a rare cat who travels well.

We'll see how Dad does with 'pooper scooping' /feeding and watering. I'm going to do the vet visits. My dad still doesn't get why a cat can't just go outside ... I'm positive the vet bills would freak him out!!

It's time for me to get some sleep. Lots to do before I 'mom sit' tomorrow evening!

Janet

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 pm

Post Re: New cat for Mom
Janet,
Thats wonderful and will be great company for your mom. Just a note for the poop scouping Walmart carries the sifting sheets, I just put 10 at a time in, that's what comes in a box at 3.00 per box and you just lift one sheet at a time and it holds the dirty litter only and the clean litter goes through the holes to the next sheet, this might be helpful for you dad and I think the littler last longer too !

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:55 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: New cat for Mom
good idea janet.. hubby loves his new cat too and i find them both sleeping,, the cat on his lap and i swear they both have smiles on their faces..

hope your mom is as happy as my hubby, with her new pet!!
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]