View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Runny nose 

Post Re: Runny nose
As a matter of fact, Mucinex [guaifenesin], without other additives, is one of the really safe cold treatments for LBD patients as has been discussed here and on other forums. NO ONE that I know of who has discussed medications on the LBD or related forums has seen any adverse effects from it. It is important that you only select the straight guaifenesin because there are a lot of combinations out there. This is strictly empirical and subjective but nonetheless very useful information. :P While it will actually worsen a 'runny nose' because it loosens secretions, it's especially good for sinus or chest congestion and cough.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:34 pm

Not that I have LBD, but last summer when I caught pneumonia my dr. told me to get Mucinex and it helped me a lot. Lynn

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:40 pm

That's just it. We don't know who gave the * Do Not Use designation to the item on Steven's list:
Guaifenesin (MUCINEX, ROBITUSSIN)*: 1
And we don't really know do not use for what. Maybe that * is just a typo that someone subsequent to the original author added by mistake. But since we don't know who the original author is and we can't look it up, we'll never know. It is not just "tunnel vision" that keeps us from understanding this. :oops:

Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:01 am

I was reading in the caregivers book on LBD that Mucinex without the antihistamine is a good choice for LBD LOs. It is the added anticholinergic properties that increase hallucinations/delusions. My understanding is to avoid any anticholinergic drug to be on the safe side. Low doses can be tried, but when you have an alternative, use it. Low and slow is the ticket when it comes to medications. One point made very clear in this book is that the LBD LO cannot tolerate the average dose of medications..it may act as an overdose.

BTW...with the runny nose being a constant problem, how can you tell when it turns into a sinus infection/URI? My dh sneezes a lot, has a chronic runny nose, and gets very warm on and off. I am assuming the color change in the mucus would be the telltale symptom?

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:15 pm

My Dad sneezes a lot too. He has 'fits' of sneezing, non-stop, and can go on for quite a while. I now wait till hes finished to say 'Bless You' as, in the beginning, I would have to say it many, many times. :roll: The runny nose is almost constant, but I don't give him anything as he refuses to take any kind of medication and won't even use a nasal spray. 'You never know what I might have poisoned it with.' :lol: :lol: I just make sure he has plenty of hankies. As for knowing when it is more serious, I think - and this is only my opinion - it would be green and thicker - yuck!!

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Debra, until I started using a saline nasal rinse, I had chronic sinus infections (partially triggered by the congestion of allergies), and I am wondering how you would know that your LO has one because usually I had little to no nasal discharge, just bad headaches from the sinus congestion, and stuff going down the back of my throat. So there would be no discharge to see as far as changing color. (Sorry to be so graphic.) I used to go to the doctor, who would listen to me, then look in my ears, nose and throat, and confirm what was going on. So the point is, without a LO who is able report symptoms (primarily bad sinus headaches), I think it might be pretty difficult to know. I'm not being much help to you, now, am I?

Julianne

Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks for the responses Ger and julianna....I was wondering the same thing about the sinus infections that cause headaches and don't have mucus...but since his nose runs ALL the time, I am guessing I would notice the change in color.

This is quite yucky! :mrgreen:

Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Steven (I know you are still reading even if you say you're gone).

Get off your high horse. Don't presume that those of us without "biochem backgrounds," the time and energy for serious research, or the facile knowledge of medical jargon, are just a bunch anti-intellectual halfwits. Personally, I find serious research a little difficult at 3:00 am while taking an hour to get my husband, taller and heavier than I, to the toilet. Not to mention the other nightime forays and sleep deprivation.

One poster mentioned our reluctance to credit a totally anonymous poster. She is so right and made me realize how much those who post even the little signature lines draw us into a real community. I am doing that, with this post being the first test of how it looks.

Gail, 70,[color=#80BFFF][/color] married 47 years to Charlie, 71. Recently[size=50][/size] placed in excellent memory care facility.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks for adding a signature line, Gail. I think it really helps us to get to know one another faster, at least on a basic who-is-who level. Especially as a newbie I liked being able to quickly get an answer to "now, is this the CG whose husband has constant delusions? ... oh, no this one is caring for her mom," until I eventually got to "recognize" at least the frequent posters pretty well.

We talk about some pretty personal stuff on here, and it is nice not to be totally among strangers.

Jeanne

PS, It looks fine! :P

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 pm

OK - I finally updated my signature so the new folks on here have a brief synopsis of why I've been posting here. Lynn

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 pm

In defense of the women/men on this list with LBD LOs...they are the most well educated folks I have YET to meet when it comes to this stuff!! I have not seen a dr or researcher that has the insight into LBD like these people on this BB.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:44 pm

WELL SAID DEBRA !!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 am

I guess it is kind of like, "Walk a Mile in my shoes and you will know something"

Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6