View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 irritable... and hard to understand 

Post Re: irritable... and hard to understand
I'm curious, Gerry, what is the med that your husband discontinued? I know that some meds take a long time to process out. My mom was given a heart med that could possibly take over 6 mos to be gone completely. At first the rehab doctor thought that was causing her Parkinsonism, and it still could have been one that exacerbated the symptoms we were seeing (imbalance, falling, inflexible when sitting) before the hospital. Members with medical backgrounds would know.
When the rehab nurses first told us that her aggressive behavior could be caused by a UTI we thought they were nuts. The first two tests were negative, but eventually, they were proven right, of course. However, that behavior is now the norm even without UTI's.
Good luck and I hope that there is a close return to a baseline in 2011.
Happy New Year!

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Debbie, The med was Sal-Tropine, for drooling, worked like a miracle, for 4 days and then the drooling came back as bad as ever and the confusion, delusions, and hallucinations were a lot worse. We stayed with it for a week but with the drooling back there wasn't any point of continuing.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:52 pm

It really makes me concerned about anticholinergics in general, since my husband took Benadryl every night for years to help him sleep--long before Lewy. And some people don't realize that the same ingredient, diphenhydramine, is in Tylenol PM and a lot of other OTC medications. Could these sometimes even cause LBD and other degenerative brain diseases where acetylcholine is depleted? The whole function of an anticholinergic drug is to inhibit or block the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine. Something to think about.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:00 pm

Interesting idea, Pat. There is so much researchers don't know. I wonder what effect all the various pills Dale took through the years had on him. He was always so determined to 'beat the odds' and wanted every new body building supplement. I still catch him looking at the assortment in his cabinet and wonder. You hear reports the miracle of CoQ10, for instance. Dale was interested in that at one time. It's all such a mystery.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks Gerry, that's certainly a drug that I will look out for in the future. My dad's drooling was really bad with PD. He kept a folded paper towel to his mouth constantly, except when he was folding the paper towels. After he passed away, I found a stack of the perfectly folded squares (about 50) in the pocket of his walker. He never let us throw them away and had them stashed every where. Thankfully, my mom is not drooling to this point, but she seems to have so many of his same symptoms that it breaks my heart to see two parents go through much the same hell!
On that note, there are only a couple of hours left of this sad year, and since my sister is with her tonight, I'm going to celebrate living through another tough one!
Here's to surviving 2011!!
Debbie

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3