View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 irritable... and hard to understand 

Post Re: irritable... and hard to understand
P.S. Dale just asked me what we were going to tell our friends. I asked, "About what?" He said, "Didn't we just get arrested?"

In his world, I guess we're going to jail. :cry:

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:55 am

:lol: I'm sorry, Leone, but it struck me funny!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Post rolling with the punches
This afternoon, he thinks it's funny too, Pat. I'm always amazed that he can be objective about his delusions. At lunch, he was good company. I just hope I'll learn to roll with the punches. I'm not very good at it yet.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:25 pm

I have found with my husband the very same issue with being hard to understand. It has become very frequent now. He will start to say something and get perhaps 2 or 3 words out and then his voice will drop and he will be reduced to mumbles. I'll ask him to try again and he'll try again with the same results and yet look at me as though I should have understood what he said and he is waiting for my response. When I say "Honey, I don't know what you're saying" he'll often reply, "Well, maybe I don't know either" and he drops it. Often he does not speak at all. What a challenge.
-Jane Grace

Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:12 am

This sounds very similar to how dad and mum communicate also there are so many "me too" moments in these posts it is frightening but at the same time reassuring. I feel like I should print them out and give them to mum to read only my name is attached to some of them. Dad also gets just a few words out then loses the sentence somewhere and I just hold his hand and reassure him that it's OK and just take a breath and then change the subject to something else. Sometimes he is happy to go this way and other times he wells up with frustration that he can't get the words out. Just one more hurdle that Lewy throws our way I figure.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:51 am

Post Re: hard to understand - Jane Grace
Jane Grace - I could have written your post - exactly. Dale starts to speak with two or three words clearly spoken but then I get the impression that he realizes that what he is trying to tell me may not make sense to me. (I could be wrong.)

He is constantly delusional now which means that much of what he is thinking is part of his imaginary world. We've laughed together about it. (What else can we do? :cry: ) Yesterday, when he asked me what we were going to tell our friends about our being arrested, he was deadly serious.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:04 am

I may have posted this before--forgive me if I'm being redundant, but do any of you remember that old TV show, Name That Tune? Someone would say, "I can name that tune in three notes!", etc. Well, that's how I often feel, trying to extrapolate the remainder of a one or two-word sentence which, even in its entirety, probably wouldn't make sense. And he gets frustrated with me because I need more notes! :lol:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:37 am

I'm on board here too....Wayne will start a sentence very clearly and then mumble incoherently. He was a university professor and often uses very intelligent words to start with. It gets so frustrating. I will often answer him like I know what he said. Like "OK" or "that's great".
Someone was telling me about using flash cards to communicate - I might try that. Wayne might be able to read if the words were written very large. You could ask if they have to go to the bathroom or if they are hungry...comfortable etc. Actually, it is like he is going back to infancy.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:00 pm

It's been over 4 weeks since Frank discontinued a med and he has never gone back to the baseline. I think it may not have been the med, just the disease. He has been resistant and in a fog-like state, just stares at me if I ask him something. Last night he went to bed at 7:00 and at 10:30AM I asked if he wanted to get up, I had no idea what he said. I pulled the covers off and started to bring his legs over the edge of the bed when he started moaning and called me a B----. I tried to find out what hurt, toes, foot, hip??, he has had a couple of hard falls in the last couple days. After getting him into the tub, he wouldn't sit so I just washed from the waist down, and he wouldn't wait for me to put the shower down and ended up doing a split, finally got him up enough to ease him onto the floor. Because he's NOT going to do anything I ask, he resisted and refused to help me get him up. I finally called my brother and he got him up and into the den. I took his temp, 98.5, it's alway around 96.8, so I'm not sure if that might be a low fever? I'm going to take a urine sample to his PCP Monday, I'm hoping it's a UTI. He ate a light breakfast and is back to sleep in the den. Well I've sputtered enough.

Happy New Year to All
Gerry

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:20 pm

Gerry,
Mom had a UTI and boy was she nasty! SHe also called me, the cat, and people driving the b word. We both also have low body temps so if we have 98.5 temp to most others, it's really like 100 or 101. Sorry, I know the frustration- I wonder why they stick to doing the opposite of what is asked- maybe control. Happy New Years- I bought a cheap bottle of bubbly- I'm celebrating!

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Gerry,
It's very common for those with the autonomic dysfunction that can occur in LBD to have lower than normal temps. So, it sounds like your instincts are spot on. Hope the new year is better for you and Frank!
Robin

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:05 pm

Enjoy the champagne Tiny, and anyone else. I'll be enjoying some of that myself tonight! Happy New Year everyone! Lynn

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:19 pm

The neurologist told mom she could have a little bit of wine occassionally. She was excited. I thought a little cheap champagne and New Years at 7:00 would make us both feel like we were in our twenties. :lol:

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:28 pm

To feel like you're in your 20's you'd need to be up till about 2 AM at least. And each of you have your own bottle of champagne to drain! LOL
The Italian Proseccos and Spanish Cavas can be really good, and SO much cheaper than a lot of French champagne or sparkling wine. Enjoy! Lynn

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:31 pm

I love Prosecco!

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next