View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Psychiatrist - Your Opinions? 

Post Psychiatrist - Your Opinions?
My mother-in-law, diagnosed a couple of months ago with LBD, has decided to see a Psychiatrist to determine how far along she is with LBD and how to expect it to progress. She was diagnosed by a neurologist and during her last visit he prescribed Seroquel, in addition to the Exelon, and discussed how far along she was, discussed her symptoms, her prognosis, etc. (I was at that visit). She had made a list of her questions and I asked her if she felt the neurologist had answered all her questions and she said yes. I think she got the Psychiatrist idea from a neighbor who has a relative who is a Psychiatrist. Her current symptoms are memory loss, disruptive sleep, seeing people that aren't there (looking in the window, trying to get in the house), confusion when driving, and balance problems. What are your opinions about her beginning to see a Psychiatrist?

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:08 am
The only comment I can say here is be careful, making sure Dr is current with LBD information, Before my Husbands final DX with LBD I took him and he was given Risperdal and he had a very bad reaction which I believe made the LBD worse, some drugs have this effect with LBD and I always advice caution and ALWAYS any DR don't be afraid to ask their knowledge of LBD. Good Luck![/u]

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:41 am

Post Psychiatrist
Thanks Irene for your reply. I too am concerned about her being prescribed medication that may not be good for LBD. Hopefully she will tell me if the doctor suggesets any changes to her medications. I just found out today that she had appointments scheduled for 3 days this week and apparently she went there last week once. I realize it may be helpful for her to have someone to talk with about LBD, but my concern is whether or not they understand LBD and medication considerations.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:47 pm
I just wanted you aware of it and hope that the dr knows about this disease.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:08 am

Post Update
Tomorrow the 3 children are to be given the test results (3 hours of testing was conducted) to read and then they will meet with the Psychiatrist to ask any questions they may have. The only thing we know so far is that the doctor said no more driving for my mother-in-law. The psychiatrist will be sending the test results to the neurologist also - - the psychiatrist will not prescribe any medication. I suspect tomorrow is going to be a very sad day for all of us.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:35 pm
Thanks for letting us know, But I want you to know you will be in my thoughts and Please do come back and let us know how it goes!

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:01 pm

Thanks Irene. The 3 children met with the psychologist (not psychiatrist). Nothing much new was learned. The report indicated the disease is at low to middle stage. Things were suggested like being sure she remembers to eat 3 times a day,drink enough water, and be sure she takes her medication. Try not to get her frustrated, don't argue with her. All in all, not much that we didn't already know. The doctor advises against telling her that she is at low to middle stage - - I don't understand that...it is something she wanted to know. The neurologist has already stated that in maybe not so simple terms anyway. I think we need to explain it to her again and again each time she asks us. It is on her mind so I think she needs to know her situation.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:29 pm
I am sure it was a let down, we are always expecting the magic bullet, In my own experience I always did the honesty thing, during my husbands illness I never lied to him , after all it was his body and he had a right to know, but again that is only my opinion. I might suggest a strict routine, that is helpful and avoids stressful times and hopefully in time she will settle in with all of this. Good luck to you and the family!
Let us know how things are going.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:57 pm

I agree be upfront. I am and have been honest with my mom. She is aware of her prognosis. She has more physical problems at this point and will actually look at me and say "What is going on with me?".

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:44 pm

My mom asks me everyday "what is happening to me", when I tell her she has LBD she asks me "When will I get better", I tell her I don't know. I think reminding her what she has and telling her your not going to get better will only make her feel worse. Just my thoughts on the subject, because with LBD, 2 hrs later they are asking you the same question because they didn't remember asking it in the first place. Therefore you are telling bad news over and over again. Is that fair???

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 am
My heart goes out to you I unserstand what you are saying and it is very hard to keep repeating bad news over and over, when I was dealing with similar questions from my Husband.
If he asked why he was doing certain things, I would say it is part of your illness and it is OK.
If he asked would he get better I would say, thats why you are taking the medicine you take to "Try" and help you.
If he asked if he was going to die I always answered honestly and said yes but would add , we all are and I don't think you are going to die today, so lets just think about today and no worry about tomorrow.
I know how mind boggling LBD is to me I can't imagine how it must be to them so for me going around the bush a little worked well for us. But I have to add I never lost sight of the honest facts I just added words or deleted them from our conversations.
Hang in there Shelly, you are doing the best you can!

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:36 pm

Thank you Irene - I will try doing what you did, it will help Mom and save my sanity. sometimes she really catches me off guard. Just when I think she is having a pretty ok day wham there it goes. Your suugestions to Jim were great without really telling the truth, yet not lying I liked that. I try to stay upbeat with my Mom, but sometimes it is just so hard.

thanks again,

Shelley

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:08 pm
I understand completely, remember LBD didn't come with an instruction book we can only do the best we can. Caregivers are under- rated in my opinion!

Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]