View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Wheelchairs.....Power Chairs Scooters 

Post Wheelchairs.....Power Chairs Scooters
I am interested in hearing about which means of transportation your
LB person uses to get around in. Please let me know Thank you

Fran

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:28 am
For us we used the push type wheelchair, we had 2 one I kept in the car it was the bigger one and one we used in the home it was called a companion chair, its a little smaller and more light weight, easier to use in the house, I did look in a power chair but at the stage we were in I really don't think my Husband would have been able to use it, I tried using one like it at the local Walmart and Jim just couldn't get the hang of it !
:)

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:46 am

That bothers me because I have health issues of my own and was
hoping that a power chair or an electric wheelchair would help.

But that how life goes Thanks

Fran

Last edited by Fran Schneider on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:35 pm
I tried to respond to this 2x's yesterday and for some reason I couldn't but what I wanted to say was I am sorry you are also having health issues and as far as the power chair agin I stress it really depends on the phase he is in. Stay well and Please take care of yourself! :)

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:13 am

Post power chairs
I myself am looking into one for my mom. Her doctor wants her to "walk as much as possible". no joke.
If she could walk LBD away both she and I would have done it long ago.
I tried taking her to Lowes and using the chairs there. the isles are a little wider than walmart and I hoped it wouldn't be as crowed. She did ok, despite the memory problems which keep her from remembering to use a walker correctly. I am looking into buying one for her (and probably getting a new doctor too)

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:48 pm
Why not if it will add quality to her life, I would think if she was walking around ,more of a chance of falls. Sometimes as caregivers we have to do what's right for us,I understand where the DR is coming from but he doesn't do this everyday as a caregiver does!

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:02 pm

Post Scooters/Chairs
Maureen,

My take on wheelchairs is to have the LBD patient walk as much
as they can. It's the best exercise they can get. However, if they are
falling that's another story. Right now my husband can walk up to a 1/2
mile a day before he gets really tired. When we go to the mall, I get
a w.c. for him because it would take us forever to navigate what I need
to do. He also exercises to keep himself limber. That has helped as
well.

Fran

Last edited by Fran Schneider on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:42 pm

I have just reread some of the topics of Sept, and I noticed that someone used the phrase, "what phase" the person was in. Would it be possible to describe just what a "phase" is and give me more info on what ones I should watch out for, and really what is down the road for me as the care giver. Right now I'm so worn out that the solar plexus and everything that comes with digestion is so out of whack! But next week I'm planning 2 weeks away with someone to replace me, so maybe I can get the insides working better! Dinny Wolff

Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:09 pm

It sounds like your husband is doing great!! congrat!!
My mom is currently able to walk about 25 ft and then only if I am holding onto her well

Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:10 pm

We were able to get a good, used electric scooter for my Dad, but we keep his regular wheelchair to take him out in the car. His eyes just lit up the first time he "drove" around in the scooter - he felt so free! A wonderful nurse aide makes him practice walking every day so he doesn't lose all his leg muscles. We want him to be able to do his own transferring from chair to chair, etc.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]