View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Fatigue and hallucinations 

Post Fatigue and hallucinations
Hello everyone,
My dad went through a med change about 2 1/2 months ago that worked really well for him. I mentioned it in a earlier reply to another post. Everything has been going good until we recently went on a trip.
The trip was about 8 hrs long one way with frequent stops for him to strech his legs and smoke. (Note... he is 77 yrs old and has smoked since he was 7 yrs old. He doesn't see any need to quit now.) We have noticed his hallucinations have returned and seem to be more frequent when he is tired.
He gets frustrated now because he thinks we are trying to find a reason to send him back to the hospital. So far it's not too bad but I fear it will get worse as time goes on.
Has anyone experienced this as well?

John's #3

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:03 pm

You might consider a psychostimulant, as recommended by Boeve in the "Continuum" paper.

Hallucinations often occur when someone is fatigued or hasn't slept well.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Post Fatigue, delusions, and hallucinations
Dale woke too early this morning (5 am) and he had a dental cleaning appointment mid morning. He is now dead tired ..... so, you guessed it....

He is sure that I'm having an affair with a young male, who is, shockingly.... only 19. Dale is horrified, of course, and he told me that I said I was leaving him.

I've just put a recording on in his bedroom and am hoping he'll sleep.... He claims he is too tired to sleep. We can't win, can we? :cry:

Just about the time when you think you have this dumb disease under some sort of control, it explodes at you again.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Post Re: Fatigue and hallucinations
Paranoid delusions are very hard to treat. Hallucinations are easier to treat.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:05 pm

So true, Robin, and for us, anyway, it's the delusions that cause the most anxiety/agitations. The hallucinations don't really bother him.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:31 pm

2 years ago we took a trip back to ohio on the train.. everything was ok the first night, but hubby didnt sleep well,, the second night as horrible.. he thought we are being shot at, he tried to pick a fight or two..( he is very gentle and kind.. normally) for ten hours this went on.. and i couldnt convince him we were ok.. i finally laid right across him, an held him down, all night,trying to comfort him!! he never went to sleep!! the next night the same thing again.. he remembered most of it in the morning.. i thought it was the aricept and between that and it bringing his bp down so low.. we took him off aricept!! no more halluciantions for two years.. then just recently a huge spike in hallucinations and delusions.. for one fulll week.. we put him on the trazadone and we have had small episodes but nothing huge, since.. since there is some depression with all of this she switched him from the trazadone to mirazaphin(?).. seems like its still ok for the sleep.. but hes gotten alot more paranoid and angry.. going back in jan to see, what now!!??

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Have you read Dr. Boeve's "Continuum" paper (see lbda.org) for treatment of psychosis (including paranoid delusions)? I'm not sure he talks about treatment of anger...perhaps agitation.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]