View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Am I safe? I need to know what options I have. 

Post Am I safe? I need to know what options I have.
i feel safe.. At peace with God.
But , last night my Husband grabbed my throat .. With one hand. He told me he was going to kill me because I was a liar. So just matter a factually, I said "you can't do that because I need to stay alive" so that was the end of it.
Tonight he's got an axe handle .. No axe just the handle. He switches back and forth between protecting me from the Lewy people and talking about wanting to hit me.

So a couple of days ago he was telling me off and I realized that he didn't know who I was. This was a wonderful insight for me. I am getting more able to detach from all the insults. But now I see the potential for an incident.

He just woke up from a little nap .. Seems to be a little less agitated.

Has anyone been through this?
JuliB

Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Post Re: Am I safe? I need to know what options I have.
Julia - Please don't take any risks with your own safety. Your husband needs you to be healthy and strong for him. Others here may have specific suggestions, particularly as regards medications that might help. But in the meantime, I suggest hiding all potential weapons (even axe handles), or removing them completely from the house, and sleeping in a locked room away from your husband, if possible. And ASAP (let them know it's an emergency), contact your husband's neurologist or doctor to discuss medications that might help alleviate the tendency toward violence.

Molly - Forum moderator. My dad's career as a geologist was interrupted by PD and LBD in 2009. I was a respite caregiver for my dad (lived out of state, but visited many times a year). He passed away peacefully in April 2014.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Well, the good thing is that you are detaching and accepting that he is not in his right mind. So less emotional pain for you. Having said that, and having lived through similar situations, I would consult the neuro right away, tell him what's happening. He should prescribe something, then you keep a log of what happens to see if meds are working. Report back to the neuro and keep posting here, and if meds don't work stay on that doctor until he helps you out. Take precautions as Molly advised, and be smart, don't take chances. If you have to, run. Keep a cellphone and car keys handy. Take care of yourself, Julia.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:03 am

Quiet night last night. He's back to his sweet self.

We ha e tried the drugs before. The neurologist thinks that the increase in Seroquel was the cause of the last hospital visit.

I guess what I really need to know is what happens when the police come.

I need to plan this out really well. I don't want him to decline because of the trauma.

At this moment, I am tired so I am trying to figure out my next steps

Julia

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:50 am

Julia, You live in Florida as I do. What will happen if the police are called is that they will Baker Act your husband if they find that he is a danger to himself and to others and take him to the nearest psychiatric ward where he can be held for 72 hours which can then be extended. If he is at the point where you need the police to come, realize that many of them don't know how to handle the situation and could taser him if there he resists. When my husband was reacting badly to meds before he was diagnosed with LBD, I was put in a position where I was about to call the police. But I was able to reason at that moment with my husband and told him that he needed to go to the hospital. This was a direct effect of the seroquel, by the way. I told him that he had a choice of how to get there, that I could call the police and that would be very embarrassing for him (he seemed to understand) or that he could come with me and that I would take him. He came with me, thank goodness. The second time he was Baker Acted was when he pulled the fire alarm at the Rehab facility and they had to call 911 and that, thankfully, was without incidence. Hope this is of help to you. Adele

Last edited by Globomondo on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 pm

It is so important that you are safe - I think you've been given good advice here already. Keeping yourself behind a locked door at night when you are sleeping is exactly what I'd do in your position. I hope you get things sorted out if it is a medication-related issue. KEEP SAFE! Lynn

Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:44 pm

Dear Julia, I'm so sorry this has happened and I too, worry about your safety. I was going to suggest the Baker Act as well, since i'm here in FL too. Although I have not experienced the physical violence yet, I have had bad episodes and I know this is a drastic step and had my reservations as well. My support group suggested taking him to Day Care to tire him out. I couldnt do that either.

I was actually thinking of increasing my husbands seroquel dose yesterday when he kicked me out. Now I will think twice about this. With the Capgras I've tried leaving the condo and then returning and asking if the "Other Ann" has gone. It may not be easy in the middle of the night, but sometimes it works. Thank you for letting us know you are safe. I hope you have peace in the days ahead. I have a feeling i will be in the same situation soon.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]