View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Roller Coaster Emotions 

Post Roller Coaster Emotions
Has anyone had experiences with an LBD patient that has/had rollercoaster emotions? My 82 year old mother, diagnosed last year, spends several hours each day crying hysterically, calling out for help and scared. She doesn't seem to know why (then or even later) and is unconsolable. Often you can see her emotions escalating but no one is able to deter the results. She is currently taking Aricept, Sinemet, Celexa and Klonopin. We've increased the Celexa dosage to 40 mg and often give her a low dose of Klonopin in the late afternoon. (She also takes Klonopin at bedtime.)
However, each episode seems to be occurring more often and lasting longer. Instead of happening 1 or 2 times a wwek, it is now several times a day! It is causing her to physically deteriorate and making it harder to retain caregivers while my husband and I work. We are at our wit's end. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:58 pm

I have been on an antidepressant for nearly 20 years. About six years ago, my doctor wanted to try me out on some of the newer antidepressants. Most did not work well for me as they caused serious daytime sleepiness. Celexa actually deepened the depression and caused me to have suicidal thoughts. Is it possible that your mother is having a bad reaction to that one medication, or to one of the others? If the Celexa is for your mom's depression, perhaps the doctor could switch her to another antidepressant and see if things improve. Good luck!

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]