View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hallucinations and personalities 

Post Hallucinations and personalities
I've been thinking about this for the longest now and I thought this would be the right group to ask.Has anyone noticed the hallucinations of a LO with LBD to be similar to that of the patient's personality? I guess what I'm trying to say is...Mom has always been a negative person that thought the worst in all situations.She was never an optimist.It seems that ever hallucination she has is dark and or dramtic.Unlike some LBD patients,Mom never sees pretty butterflies or happier subjects.Her Dr. said the personality of a patient manifest itself greatly in this disease.She also said as we all know....positive thinking helps the patient cope much better.Mom never wants to try to help herself.Ijust wonder if she would put forth more effort ...if she would improve.Perhaps, I'm being too hard on her.Maybe this LBD is in total control regardless of their personalities.Has anyone else noticed this to be true?
Kay

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:00 pm

Post To Kay
Kay, my husband does the same thing. All his nightmares regard someone breaking into the house or someone coming to take him to a nursing home. Even though he retired in 2004, he still has nightmares about the shop shutting down and no one has any work. My husband was always very healthly and now he has the attitude WHY me? he thinks the worst will happen in every situation. He worrys about the least little matter. Some days I feel as if he will refuse to leave the house for fear a leaf might land on his head.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:34 pm

My dad always has hallucinations of bad things. He always talks about death, fire and funerals. When he was still at home, he thought the police was going to come and get him. He was very suspicious of everyone and everything. His nightmares were so awful he would wake up screaming.

He used to be so cheerful and was always at church helping the elderly. It's so hard to understand what this disease is doing to his brain.

Cinderella

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:43 pm

Most of my LO's hallucinations involve people. People in every room of the house. Mother tells me they don't talk, they make sign language to one another but if she swats at them they make a painful expression. They all play musical instruments but no sound comes out. They line up to use her bathroom, sit in her chair,etc. She has sort of become "aquainted" with some of them. She calls them "the Lewy Bodies". :)
Her biggest problem occurs during the night when she either dreams and believes it is real or halluncinates that dad is doing something bad. That's when she rants and raves. Actually she thinks that dad is NOT dad but someone else that looks like him. It is hard to calm her. She HATES the night.

#1daughter

Caregiver to 84yr. mother w/LBD & 83yr. dad w/PD

Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:23 am

I had a bad night for the second in a row. I ended up curled up on one corner of the bed with my feet resting on my night stand. My husbands nightmares were constant every minute of every hour. Once he jerked so forcefully that he missed my nose by a fraction. I finally got up and did some e-mailing to my husbands brothers. Then at 6:45 a.m. another relative called.
Then my husband was mad-why did you tell Alice that I was your husband? Are you sure you only talked to Alice? He kept up this line of questioning for 3 hours. Needless to say, I dread going to bed tonight.
I don't know what to do. I can't sleep in another room because I'm afraid that my husband might start to choke and drown in his own buildup of muscus in his throat. His swallowing problems have been quite bad the last few days. Any suggestions?

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:25 pm
Have any throat studies been done yet? If you have another room to sleep in you could use a baby monitor, this way you could still hear everything and maybe get some peaceful rest. Good Luck! :)

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:11 pm

An easy thing to do to help prevent choking on mucus at nighttime is to have the person sleep with the head of the bed elevated (if using a hospital bed) or sleep in a recliner chair.

There are some things you can do to reduce the build-up of mucus such as guaifenisin (Mucinex is one brand), cut out dairy products, use inhalers, etc.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:22 pm

Post hallucinations and personalities
My own psychiatrist has talked about how hallucinations can reveal what's going on inside a person. That's why they always want to know the content of hallucinations, I suppose. There's probably some truth to that. However, when I was a pastor, I used to visit church members who had alzheimer's. You wouldn't believe some of the things the sweetest little old ladies could say -- words their husbands didn't even know their wives knew the meaning of! This one woman would sometimes say the crudest things, things that embarrassed her family so much they asked for people to stop visiting. They were just horrified. And I knew her before her illness got bad. She was just, I don't know, saintly. The things she was saying were just not a part of her personality. I also knew a man with Tourette's. He was a a happy and sensitive man, but the things he'd spout off were vulgar. He couldn't help it. He hated the things he said. Where do such things come from? I don't know, but I do believe that every one of us has a part of our brains that is primitive and impulsive. Usually we aren't even aware of it because the higer functions of our brains are doing what they are supposed to do. When those fuctions break down, we are all capable of saying and doing things that in our normal state are unimaginable. That's one reason why drugs and alcohol are so dangerous. Likewise, when our neurotransmitters are scrambled, who knows what psychic pathways are opened and what ones are closed? What one hallucinates or what kind of delusions a person has may -- and I'm just guessing out loud -- may be a function of what part of the brain is most influential at any given time. This is a very long and drawn out way of saying that I don't think people with LBD have any control over their hallucinations and delusions. Nor do I think their personality controls what is happening -- becuase it is the personality itself that is being erroded away.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:44 am
Profile YIM

I feel for you and know your nights are hard. Nights have become a dreaded time for us also.

The last couple of days I think have been the worse yet for my mother. Usually she calms down in a hour or two but now she can go on ranting at dad for 5 or 6 hours, maybe do better for 3 or 4 and then start again. Not hardly a night goes by that she doesn't have a bad episode and it takes a couple hours for her to sleep again and then maybe not sleep again for the rest of the night. It is just getting worse.

This is just sooooo hard to deal with.

It is comforting to have all of you to share our experiences with and I am very interested in reading of yours.

#1daughter

Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:28 am

My mom has some really off the wall hallucinations..She see's men dressed in suits up in the trees.. She pulls all of her clothes out of her dresser wanting to throw them away because they have blood on them or there is glass in them. She has snakes in her bed at night , bugs or worms crawling on her at night.. She thinks the lady who used to do her hair put wire in her hair and she cann't get it out.. She wakes my dad up at night demanding that he take her home and they are,, my parents are living in the same house they have lived in all of my life and I am 38 yrs old. She sometimes thinks that my dad is making her sleep outside or sleep in a hog pen or a barn...She has seen a dead man laying in her yard, she has seen a man on a machine going around the her house looking in the windows at her..
Just some really off the wall stuff that goes through her mind and I don't understand how her mind works... I mean she really believes the thiings that she see's ,,, I know to her it is real but how? She thinks that she can "push" the walls in her bathroon in and out... She thinks that my dad moves the bathroom just so she cann't find it..
I just don't understand how or where these strange and off the wall ideas come from . I don't understand anything about this disease and everyday with my mother is a little on the wild side...........

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:35 pm
Profile YIM

I've been thinking a lot about this question of personality and how it does or does not influence the mainfestation of the the disease. Jerome has always been an enormously optimistic, upbeat, and good-humored individual. His handling of LBD and its progress has been rather amazing to me. We deal with each challenge or step down into the darkness (as I am more likely to perceive it) with a lot of humor and patience, and the anger has only erupted when meds have been disrupted. His hallucinations, which only recently started (atypically) have been completely benign. I keep wondering whether our LBD journey will continue calmly into the night or whether at some point a switch will get pulled and it will become ugly, angry, and terrifying. Has anyone else's LO progressed in a similar fashion in terms of attitude? Has there been any research or any studies looking at the impact of personality/life attitude on the character of the LBD's progression or how one handles it? If so, I'd be very interested in the citation.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:36 pm

Do hallucinations come only at the beginning of LBD or also at the end? My Dad had them at the beginning and they were frightening for us but looking back, I guess they were kind of benign and funny. He did things like fly a WWII airplane and teach school over a hospital loud speaker (for real - he got ahold of one) and talk about being in strange places a lot. He has always been a VERY passive, sweet guy. What I'd like to know is: are there going to be more later? The hallucinations went away after a short time and I haven't seen many in the last year. He gets angry quickly when people don't do what he wants as fast as he wants. And, he has the emotions of a preadolescent, but no true hallucinations.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:56 pm

Mother lives in a world of hallucinations. She's had them from the beginning and still does. She's only been diagnosed with LBD for 6 months, but I know she's had it for 2 or 3 years at least. Her's are getting worse and as Marsha says "off the wall" most of the time. She blames dad for causing these hallucinations, saying that he is "in control" of them, that the lewy Bodies enticed him to help them do this to her. They cut holes in her ceiling and drop fish through. Flooding the house everyday now. She thinks a lady lives in their spare bedroom and that some of their toilet articles belong to her
Lbd'ers must live in a constant state of anxiety, never knowing what might happen next.
Can you just imagine?

#1daughter

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:26 am
Can you just imagine?

Dear Number1daughter,
Most people can't even begin to imagine, I used to often think that my husband was in a very dark place in his mind, what I find strange is they (LBDers) always seem to verbally attack the person closest to them, the one that is helping them the most, for me after having a great marriage filled with trust, my husband blamed me for everything, claimed I took all his money and ran around with the neighbors. In the begiining I was stunned I just couldn't understand what was happening this is before LBD DX and once the DX came I was able to somehow just blame the illness and not the person because he had no control over his thoughts or actions. After all he was demented. :(

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:20 am

This morning my husband was having problems with his "capgras" delusions. He was asking me which one I was and then out of the blue he said "I guess I'm being punished for having three wives. I know I'm not supposed to." I assured him he was okay and that they all loved him and it was not his fault. I tell him his brain is playing tricks on him and for a few minutes it is as if he understands. And then he starts in on me about when am I going to tell him who I am. It is mind boggling! As stated before on a message, their minds must be so disturbed all the time and they never know (nor do we) what they will say next.
Prayers to all LBD families and LO's.
There must be a special place in heaven for all caregivers.
maryangela

Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next