View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Communication 

Post Communication
I'm beginning to feel like I am learning a whole new way of communicating--almost like talking to a toddler. It seems that now when I say something it is too complicated and he gets confused, thinks I mean something that I don't. I now realize that this has been a slowly evolving event & probably caused some of our arguments over the past couple years. He seems normal to most people; my son-in-law thinks that my daughter are exaggerating because he only sees him a few hours every couple weeks. And now we are preparing a MIL apartment at my daughter's new home and he seems to have become more confused (he didn't follow a conversation & when I brought up the subject later, he said he didn't know what I was talking about because he hadn't been paying attention...maybe because he was confused?). What's worrying is that he is determined that he is going to sell our house on his own, I spent 2 hours last night trying to dissuade him to no avail. Thank you all for listening.
Connie

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:08 am

Post Re: Communication
Hi Connie; I am having the same problem with my husband. He refuses to believe that something was decided upon and he was part of the decision. He also talks about strange things and I am forever trying to figure out what he is talking about. The other night he was talking about our selling some horses. We live in the city in a condo and have no horses and never did. He live on a farm but moved to the city at about 5 or 6 years old. Tonight he was saying that here at this building the police can get a bottle of liqour by just going through the hall to the other part of the building. There is no place within blocks that liqour is sold. It is a real mystery what is going on in his mind. I have learned to just go with the flow and say something like "Is that so, well what do you know" and leave it at that. It seems to work fairly well and there are less arguments. Hope this helps, Anne

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm with ya girls.... just smile and nod. To them, within their head, it's very real and it's not worth arguing about.

I've come to learn what I can and cannot talk about with David. Too much involved or detailed conversation and he zones out, because his mind cannot keep up with the input.

Thu May 29, 2014 7:46 am

I agree. Keep it simple and leave out the details. Then, whenever you can, just go along with the story. Usually it will change - although in my experience it could take months... But never does a direct confrontation get you anywhere except exasperated! :)

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:43 am

For whatever reason, Don has now decided to let a realtor sell the house. I have stopped trying to reason with him about the value of our house and let the realtor tell him what it is...that should prove interesting.
Connie

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:59 am

Good luck, Connie. This must be a very challenging and frustrating issue for you to deal with. Let us know how it goes. Lynn

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]