View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Growling or grunting noises 

Post Growling or grunting noises
I'm new to this site, I am a caregiver for my dad. I have been a nurse for 30 years and have worked in the geriatric field for a long time. I have learned a lot about LBD from this site! I actually hadn't heard of this diagnosis until my dad was diagnosed about 2 years ago. My dad is not mobile, I use a sit to stand lift for transfers and a full body lift to get him in and out of bed. My dad had polio when he was a child and also lost his right arm in a farming accident in 1957. He sleeps a lot, he keeps his eyes closed sometimes even when he is awake, probably only awake 4-5 hours a day. When I put him to bed at night, he lays in there with his eyes wide open for about 2 hours. I read an article about putting a blue light in Alz/dementia patients and they sleep better. It has really helped my dad. He goes to sleep about 10 and sleeps all night. That really helps me too. Eats well, takes his meds well. He isn't on many meds! He was on Haldol and Zyprexa, they have both been stopped because of all the info I have gathered on this site.....Thank you all!
I will get to the point, he growls or grunts with every breathe he takes, when I ask him to please stop, he will for a few seconds and then starts again. He will also sometimes be hateful to me, he is never hateful to me when my husband is around but still grunts or growls. Just wondered if anyone else has a growler or if its my dad's way of trying to get under my skin!
Any info would be helpful! Thank you

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:21 pm

Post Re: Growling or grunting noises
I don't know about that particular symptom, but I doubt he is doing it just to drive you crazy. If he has LBD, his mind is not under his control - there are all sorts of things happening that he can't help, and my guess is that this is one of those things he may be able to control a little, like showtime, and one of these days he may not be able to control it at all. Expect the unexpected with this awful disease, and all the best to you. This is not an easy journey and your dad will continue to need your help more and more as time goes by. Take care of yourself too. Lynn

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:50 pm

Thank you for your input, the grunting has stopped, so has a couple of meds he was on. The doctor and myself think the meds were the guilty party causing him to do this. By stopping the meds things have improved greatly, he is awake more, social and somewhat more physically able to do some of the things he couldn't while he was on the meds. Thanks you again!

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Well that is all good news, Shari. Let's hope things stay calm for a long time. Lynn

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]