View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Thinking we are at the end of life stage with my father 

Post Thinking we are at the end of life stage with my father
We are in such a struggle right now in knowing what is going on with my father. He is completely bedridden and total dependent on the staff workers and us for all his needs. In the past two weeks he has steadily declined even further and does not open his eyes very much. In the past three days he has eaten very little and had hardly any urine output. Today he started running a fever and cries when he is touched. He has also been very agitated in his sleeping for the past couple of days. The nurses talked to us today and even though this disease follows no set pattern we are all thinking that his body is shutting down. It is so hard to know if I should try to get him to sip fluids or should I just let him be. We are thinking it is the end stage progression of the disease but I thought this part of it would somehow be easier with all I have seen him suffer and struggle through. It is still such a guessing game as to how long that this part will continue but it seems to grow more difficult each day. His sister told me today that where we used to be week by week, then day by day, now it seems as if we are living hour by hour.......

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:28 pm

Post Re: Thinking we are at the end of life stage with my father
Is he on Hospice? My husband stopped eating and drinking and ran a fever at the end, too. His organs had begun to shut down so he was not digesting the food he did eat. It does sound as though the end may be near.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Post Re: Thinking we are at the end of life stage with my father
My dad was also in horrific pain in his last weeks too. If I barely touched his hand he'd scream (what he could muster for a scream at that point). He needed a lot of morphine to be comfortable. People can live roughly a week or so with no fluids, longer with no food, and according to the hospice nurses they told us that trying to get someone to eat or drink is not in the person's best interest. As Pat said, the body can no longer process things they ingest so it's better to just let nature take its course. That's very hard to do, I know. My dad went from 235 lb. down to about 85 lb. in less than 2 yr. so it was particularly hard to see him not eating anything. There was almost nothing left by the time he died, so of course his CGs and family members were trying to get him to eat something. I stopped after being educated by hospice. A big cyber hug to you. It is so hard. Lynn

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]