View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Seizures 

Post Seizures
My husband is rolling his eyes back, twitching and passing out. He does this at any time, not on arising. He has several, one after the other. Can anyone tell me if this is common in late LBD? He is in his 6 1/2 years of LBD.
Thanks,
Elaine (attilla)

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Please see my response to your post under the "Symptoms and Management" section.

Gayle

Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:33 pm

I've been gone from the forums for a long time. I needed to take a break. I want to respond to the question about seizures. I have them. I''m on 500 mg of dilantin daily and it seems to help.

Randy

Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:59 am
Profile YIM

Post Seizures
Thanks Randy, for the reply.
May I ask what form your seizures took. Only answer if you wish. I am trying so hard to find out if my Lewy Body Husband is having seizures due to LBD, or if it is unrelated. The doctors don't seem to know. He rolls his eyes back and passes out for a few seconds. One nurse said that she noticed a slight twitching also.
Thanks again,
Elaine (attiilla)

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Have you asked the doctors about doing an MRI or EEG? One of those should detaremen if he is having seizures. If the seizures are lasting five minutes or longer call 911.

The othere thing you can do is get a note book and document when he is having one. That way when you go to the doctor next time you can show them what is going on.

Heather

Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:28 am
The idea of a daily journal is very important to anyone dealing with LBD, because there are so many changes it is almost impossible to remember them all for Dr appointments, I know it really helped us when some issues came up I had enough to do with caring for my husband so to remember all the details just made sense to keep everything written down. Seizures can be tricky but they can be detected with a EEG if there is in fact seizure activity going on there could be other caused to these black out periods too! :?

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:44 am

What you say makes a lot of sense. I had kept a journal of BEFORE he was in a nursing home, but not after.
He has had a recent EEG but nothing indicating seizures was noted. That is why I was wondering if it was part of the phases of DLB. I guess the EEG would show that too, if it were the case. He had 16 of these blackouts in late May and early June but since then he hasn't had one. Maybe some med change has helped. They also added extra salt to try to bring up his blood pressure, something must have helped.
Thanks again,
Elaine (attilla)

Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:27 am
Could it be "Orthostatic hypotension" Which is very common in LBD.The blood pressure lowers due to standing , The change in position can cause a reduction in blood flow which creates a shortage of oxygen to the brain, it can lead to a syncope which is a partial or complete loss of consciousness.If this is the case it does not mean that routine blood pressure would pick this up, the blood pressure would have to be taken at the time this is happening! I hope this helps and gives you a question to bring to the Doctor. :?

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]