View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 husband in nursing home six weeks severe changes 

Post husband in nursing home six weeks severe changes
My husband age 61 has been in a nursing home for six weeks. He did pretty good adjusting the first month. The last two weeks he has had massive confusion, has been unable to sleep (up one time for 48 hours).

He has a doctor that has been chosen by the nursing home seeing him and had some medication changes. Could this be causing the massive confusion we are seeing.

I am afraid one of the medications might be causing this. Or is it just progression of the disease.

Jan

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Post Re: husband in nursing home six weeks severe changes
It's hard to know which it is at this point, and it also could be an infection that's causing the problems. Has he been tested for infection? Have you discussed this with his dr.? Has the dr. either stopped or decreased the amount of the drug(s) to see if that helps? Lynn

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:06 pm

With the hypersensitivity to drugs our LBD loved ones have, I'd always think Medication First.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:33 am

I would also find out if medication changed coincided with the behavioral changes. Always a good place to start. One problem with nursing homes [I found] is that behavior and cognitive changes don't always get put in the chart for the doctor to see. I often reported changes myself, by fax.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]