View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Paralyzed Mom insists she can walk and thinks we are inhibit 

Post Paralyzed Mom insists she can walk and thinks we are inhibit
Hi, My Mom (92 years old) has been essentially paralyzed by strokes and now LBD. Because of her severe helplessness she lives in our nursing home here in town. She, of course, is delusional. I try to agree or at least not disagree with her delusions. For the last 2 months she insists that she can walk just fine and has walked downtown several times. She says "I want to get up. Get out of my way." Of course, she can no longer effectively move her arms or her legs and can't get up. She gets frustrated, of course!, and insists that we have put pillows on top of her preventing her from moving. She keeps saying "I wish you would believe me when I say I can walk. I can tell you just don't believe me." She then cries and I feel like she thinks I am betraying her. I've tried changing the subject, but as all of you already know, LBD victims remember some things very well and she returns to the topic. She gets angry because she knows I am just trying to change the subject so again she feels betrayed. She also gets upset because she can't get her hands and arms to work to feed herself...but she thinks there is nothing wrong and that we are doing something to her. When we feed her with a spoon or put pieces of food in her mouth she gets upset, understandably. Any suggestions?
This is my first posting. Thank you LBDA for having this forum. Reading through it helps me not feel so alone! I am an only child and nearest relatives are 2 cousins living over 1000 miles away. We have no kids. Thank God I have a very wonderful, supporting husband. So hard to see our loved ones suffer! Mom is frustrated (and with good reason) and cries...and I don't know what to say except "I know this is hard." But she can't figure out what is wrong with ME...that she is just fine and not a "cripple." I can't tell her that she is impaired as she doesn't accept this.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Post Re: Paralyzed Mom insists she can walk and thinks we are inh
welcome to the forum...so sorry you are dealing with this.... i havent dealt with this exact issue, but have been yelled at and accused of doing something, to cause a problem... and its hard.. you try to change the subject, get some ice cream, play a game etc etc.... but they wont let go, its like a dog with a bone..... wish a had an answer for you, but i dont.. hopefully some one will be able to give you better ideas... it sounds like you are doing all the things that are recommended.. and they just aren't working... grrrrrr... i hate lewy!!! its a horrible disease.... please take care of you and hope you get some answers that help..
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Post Re: Paralyzed Mom insists she can walk and thinks we are inh
Hi PPS - welcome. Is there anyone your mom will listen to about her state of health, like a dr., nurse, best friend, etc.? Maybe it won't even make any difference, but if you think she'd listen to someone, and remember what they told her, maybe it would take some pressure off you.
My dad luckily knew something was wrong, but didn't know what and I didn't want to say the D word around him. I'd just tell him that things weren't working because there was something going on his brain and that the drs. and I were doing everything we could to try to help him with his symptoms. Of course I knew there was a d____d thing we could do that would help him, but it did help him calm down some when I'd reassure him that we were trying to help.
What happens if you (with assistance from the staff) DO let her try to get up? Would that help convince her that she can't walk? Can she sit in a wheelchair and have you push her around the facility so she's at least getting out of her room?
This is such a heartbreaking situation. Big hugs to you, come back as often as you need. Lynn

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]