View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Delusions/Paranoia? 

Post Delusions/Paranoia?
I'm curious as to what delusions, obsessions, paranoias, etc. others have seen in their loved ones. I wonder sometimes if my Dad is the only one who has such odd delusions, because some are really off the wall! One of his worse is that the walls in the house are falling down. Dad will physically try to hold the walls up and shout for help. Today he was fixated on the front door of their house -- something was wrong with the lock, it needed to be fixed, the door wasn't working right, it needed a new lock, etc. He kept going to the door and trying to open it, went outside (while we kept an eye on him because he doesn't ever want to go outside), etc. Neither my Mom nor I know where this obsession suddenly came from again. And he just wouldn't let it go. I finally told him I fixed the door. He seemed alright with that after a few minutes. Then he wanted to know where his ID was. I don't know why, he only needs it when he goes to the doctor, if then. I told him it was in Mom's purse, safe and sound. Daddy said, "Well, don't broadcast that around". When he gets this way he usually has a very bad evening; will wander around the house until the sweat rolls off of him! Won't sit still. And he talks about things like we're supposed to know what he means; he says we know what he's talking about, but we don't! Is anyone out there going through the same thing??? Daddy just doesn't have any "good" days anymore, it seems. For the longest while he would have a pretty good week, then have a bad three or four days, have some more good days, etc. Now it just seems like everyday is bad; he might be able to make lucid comments at some time during the day, but then he is just so confused!

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Post Re: Delusions/Paranoia?
Short list of some of my mother's delusions before we got seroquel titrated to low but adequate dosage:
Her great grandson was kidnapped and escaped (or was rescued; it varied.)
I was carjacked on way home from their retirement community to my house (3 miles in a peaceful college town). Happened every couple of weeks.
Building was on fire (frequently.) Some woman told her; that was her usual story.
Could not go to bathroom because there was a dead body on the floor and the police had taped it off until they finished investigation.
She had voted her conscience in a College of Science dispute, but the chancellor was refusing to back the faculty, and she was worried that I had voted "wrong".

Many others; this is a sampling of what I can recall now!
Her memory has been relatively spared, but she has a fair collection of memories of things that didn't happen.

Laurel

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:20 am

The most persistent [and frustrating] delusions my husband has had were the Capgras delusions, where he believed me to be an identical impostor. Our house was also a 'duplicate' and he was always trying to get to the 'other house' and get in touch with the 'real' wife. That lasted for a few years, off and on. Most of his delusions involve meetings to attend, planes to catch, etc. While the Seroquel helped his hallucinations [although he still has them] it seemed to do little for his delusions.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Your Dad is definitely not the only one! My Mom had many. A major one that caused us all a lot of grief was the bugs in the rug. There were bugs everywhere that my Mom would collect and put in little jars. They were bits of fluff. There was a family sleeping on the couch in the living room so she called the police. Surprise my Dad when the police rang the doorbell at 4:00 in the morning. A nastier one had to do with my Dad. Mom would get into these "moods" where she thought Dad was against her, making her take all these pills, etc. That one went on for quite a while and then dissappeared. Those are just a few we had to deal with. The thing I learned from all of this is that it's always changing...

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:47 am

Thanks for your responses to my post! My Dad also sees people of various forms, shapes and sizes. One of his most frequent "people" is a 7 foot tall man who he thinks works nights; this man also has a wife who is just as tall. He sees children, snakes, cats and dogs. Most of the people he sees have some type of deformity. He describes one as having a nose that looks like a pig's snout. He also sees bugs, but he doesn't try to pick them up. He just says they're crawling across the bathroom floor. One of his regular hallucinations is that there is water on the bathroom or the kitchen floor.

Off and on he believes that someone "from work" needs to be contacted, or is looking for him, and that he's going to be arrested for not showing up at work. He's 80 years old and hasn't worked in 15 years! For a while now he's been having two odd delusions: 1) My Mom drags him out to a "honky tonk" almost every night, and he's tired of going. The other day he said that he was going to leave her there and come home. Neither one of them drive anymore so I don't know how he thinks he gets to a honky tonk. Not to mention he's never even been to one! 2) Some evenings he asks if he needs to pack his things so he can leave "this place". I ask what place? He seems to think he's staying at a motel.

Dad also talks about things that need to be done. Sometimes I ask him what he means. He just says "You KNOW!" and gets agitated.

I'm so glad I found this forum. Thanks again to everyone who answered!

Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Quote:
He just says "You KNOW!" and gets agitated.
That sounds very familiar! :|

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Definitely not alone. Mum has lots
* dad has a girlfriend (dad is 80 , frail and house bound)
* girlfriend has a husband
* girlfriend's husband shines their car lights into the bedroom
* the girlfriend has a dog who upsets mum and dads dog
*mum and dad are being robbed (that one is really common)
* mum and dads dog has something wrong with her (there had been a few vet visits)

It is interesting to see what mum comes up it in her delusions . Like the others I can assure you you aren't alone.

I think my issue is what do I say when she makes a delsuional comment and wants a discussion about it.

Actually tonights phone conversation is that dad is dying (it was all said very matter of factly) and he won't last much longer

Regards Terry

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:17 am

Oh boy, am I glad to have read this, to know there are others who have these experiences. My husband is obsessed with the idea somebody's out to get him, it's all he talks about, all he thinks about, he's constantly stressed out about it, it's really awful, he's paranoid all the time. He takes seroquel in tiny doses and it makes him go to sleep but it doesn't stop the delusions. He also sees a baby in a high chair in the dining room, people lurking around the house, and he doesn't recognize our bathroom, says it's not our bathroom. Not to mention, he recently had back surgery and his reaction to the anesthesia was unbelievable, for days he saw whole scenes and places and people who weren't there, he was off in his own world somewhere, he was so far gone, it was scary, for a bit there we didn't know if he'd ever come back. He has mostly come back now, at least to the way he was before surgery, but he fully remembers and believes everything he "saw" at the hospital was completely real, and it's only served to make him more paranoid.
I really wish there was more they could do about the delusions/paranoia/hallucinations, it is, for us, the most disturbing part of this illness.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:34 pm

My 91 year old mother has had the following delusions and hallucinations:
- floods that threaten her. This has happened several times.
- landslides indoors with rooms filling with dirt around her
- every one is out to kill her, even me, her son! This one is very hard for me to deal with.
- She often sees people who are not there
- Cattle stampedes down the hall
- every day she will have periods of time where she really has no idea where she is. She will be on the toilet and suddenly decide she is in public!
- sometimes she thinks my home is a fake replica and wants to leave.

Sometimes her hallucinations are OK or happy:
- there are two children who come to visit that she really likes, but no kids have been around.

Seroquel has helped. But now she has developed dystonia, where her head is constantly hanging down. It may be the seroquel, so we may have to stop it.

I am interested to know what others have found effective for this.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:21 pm

My mother has trouble holding her head up, too. I think it is less from the seroquel and more that she is just tired / sleepy a lot. Seroquel probably contributes to the sleepiness, even at her relatively low dosage, but it is much better than the delusions she suffers without it.

I have found it helpful to have her sit in a recliner or lazy boy with back tilted back a little so she is not vertical but not horizontal, and then to use a pillow (the neck cushions they sell for airplane travel are especially good for this) to help support her head in a more comfortable position. Also, this way I can put her feet up, which helps as lately she has tended to have swelling in feet and ankles, I think from inactivity. She is still upright enough to watch movie-time in the care unit's living room (if she is awake) and to talk with visitors, but she doesn't have that uncomfortable-looking head-drop as if she is contemplating her navel.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Somewhat relieving to read these!

We are dealing with:
- plans to escape
- the hospital is building an underwater hospital
- nurses are all undercover spies
- he has super powers that if he could just get out of the hospital he could make a real difference
- there is a war going on, the red-coated Koreans had their hands full when he resisted them
- there's a secret... you know...the secret... people can't find out.
- trees exploding outside
- space ships
- ornate carved doors
- he's too tired to "play the moving iron stoves around game"

Unfortunately our LO is in the hospital until they figure out next steps. He had a catastrophic reaction to Aricept - went from living on his own in a retirement home to being in the lock down ward of the hospital in one day. The hospital staff where he was originally placed did not understand LBD and gave him lorazepam to calm him down.... and THAT contributed to more deterioration mentally.

He's restrained in bed and in the chair because he has no idea what is real and what is not.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm sorry to hear that! Hopefully now that he's off those meds, he can slowly but surely get back to his former self. And yes, those hallucinations keep it interesting!

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:13 am

My dad didn't have a lot of hallucinations or delusions, but here are some that I remember, infrequent as they were:

- the doors had been taken off in his hospital room and were lying on the floor
- the tv was on the ceiling
- my 19 yr. old son was living in the ALF right down the hall but wouldn't come visit my dad
- his home that he wanted to go back to was the town where he grew up and hadn't lived in 70 yr.
- his recliner was a car with a flat tire, thus he was leaning to one side and he needed help changing the flat tire so he could be upright
- soap operas on tv (the aids would turn the channel when they were taking care of him towards the end) were basketball games
- he hadn't been fed in days (at the ALF)
- he couldn't get to the ALF dining room because there was "too much snow" or "too much rain" so no one could push his wheelchair through the bad weather (in reality his room was about 40 ft. from the dining room, didn't need to go outside to get to the dining room)
- it was raining and cold out (it was in the 90s, sunny and extremely humid outside)
- his bed was a boat and someone needed to steer it correctly
- one of his aids was his "housekeeper" and he needed to take her to his house to clean. He called his favorite aid "Mrs. Brown" even though her name was Sarah and had a totally different last name
- men were men but women were also men, always referred to as "he"

Lynn

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 am

Oh my word! I know it doesn't sound nice at all, but I'm glad to know that there are others out there who are having the same problems! Again, thanks for all your responses.

Dad has become totally delusional beginning in the late afternoons and early evenings now. He has become obsessed with having me or my husband take him places at night. He needs to:

- Go the the Base (he's retired military)
- Go to the flight line (he worked with airplanes)
- Go to work
- Go to the personnel office
- Go to the hospital
- Go to the doctor

The main problem is that he NEVER lets up and its absolutely impossible to divert him to something else. I've always heard the saying "its like talking to a brick wall". That's exactly what its like! It goes on and on and on for hour after hour. Mom is worn out because even during the day, every five minutes, he's after her about one of these things or something else. When I go over in the evening around supper time he starts on me about the same things.

- The other night he was crawling around on the floor, looking for a 'communications line' along the floor board.
- He came real close to me today and told me that there are "some of those people who I really don't trust", speaking of the "people" he sees
- The people on the local TV news bring their studio into his room and they all know him

Thankfully, Mom and I have an appointment with his neuro on Thursday. We need to find out something -- whether we need to change his meds, add a med, etc. We either have to find a way to decrease his agitation and anxiety to keep him at home, which we want to do, or we'll have to move him to a facility. Hopefully his doctor can help point us in one direction or the other...

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:44 pm

You know the expression "misery loves company"? Well, on the forum it is all about that and it's known as empathy. So many of us know the kinds of things your are dealing with, and it is helpful to know you are not alone. Many people are or have been going through the same or similar things and there is something very comforting about that, sad as it is. That's what's so great about this forum. I think I would have lost my mind without it a few years ago. Hope you find some help with the neuro. Let us know how it goes - we're all pulling for you! Lynn

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next