View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Constant leaning 

Post Constant leaning
Has anyone had this problem with their LO. Mum leans to the left every time I sit her up in bed - and also if she wakes up in the night. In fact today she even did it with her lunch tray on her lap and I narrowly averted a major disaster! I wonder if this is another Lewy symptom or whether it could be caused by something else. It is not muscle weakness since when she wants she can sit bolt upright.
Would be grateful for any feedback

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:50 am

Post Re: Constant leaning
The 'Lewy Lean' is pretty common. My husband has been leaning for years--sometimes in a different direction!--but I don't know what causes it. I try to keep him propped with pillows in his w/c so he doesn't get sore ribs when he's up.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Yes. My 91 year old mom always leans to the right. It looks uncomfortable, but is almost is always leaning right.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Derek almost always leans to the left but for a few weeks a couple of years ago he leaned to the right. I'm sure he thinks he's sitting straight up.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:07 pm

I was told by a nurse when my dad was in the hospital that this is caused by ataxia. The brain can no longer consistently tell various muscle groups in the trunk how to move in conjunction with one another - the leaning, the inability to be able to clean oneself in the bathroom, inability to lean over to put on socks and shoes, inability to put on pants & shirts, etc. are some of the symptoms of ataxia. Like the cause of other LBD symptoms, signals in the brain get cut off or interfered with. I suppose the symptoms can come and go to some extent, although with my dad, once it started it was pretty much consistent and worsened with time. It is not something the person has any control over so all the PT or OT in the world will not fix it. As the symptoms progress the person will need more and more care because they can no longer perform things that the rest of us take for granted. Best, Lynn

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:18 am

Thankyou for your helpful replies = and I'm sure you are right, Lynne, about the ataxia. Now I think about it, when I used to take her out in the car she always leaned to the right - so now it seems to have reversed.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 am

Chandris - my MIL (88 - fully w/c dependent) is a "lefty leaner" too. I notice with her that it tends to get more pronounced when she's tired. Recently she had a bout with a UTI and her lean became so pronounced it interfered with her ability to transfer in and out of her w/c...was a real nightmare for a while there but after a round of antibiotics she's back on track again. Times when she's having difficulty sitting up straight we do like mockturtle does and stuff a pillow down beside her. It doesn't stop her from leaning but at least her ribs aren't pressing into the arm of the w/c.
Lynne - great info about ataxia (thank you!) MIL has reached a point now where she needs help with dressing more often, but it still depends on where she is on the "roller coaster"; some times she has no trouble at all, other times she can't get a pair of pants on for love or money - keeps putting both feet into the same leg hole...gets her so frustrated!

I wonder just how common this particular leaning feature is among pts. Dx/LBD...In all the research I've done I've never seen it listed as even a "possible" or "occasional" symptom, and I had no idea myself that other people were dealing with it too until I came here! Anyone know MORE about this? - Suzanne

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Suzanne, I have no scientific data but on another forum [for spouses of Lewys] the 'Lewy lean' is often mentioned so I'd say it is very common.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:32 pm

My mother also would lean to one side. I remember often putting in a pillow to get her to sit up straight. She had hip surgery at one point so I just assumed she was favouring her hip...

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:41 pm

I didn't notice my dad leaning until he had his huge overnight decline. In the hospital the first day he was nearly falling out of his bed, with no one in the hospital aware that he was about to fall out on his head and could not get himself back. For the next year and a half, till he died, he almost always leaned when sitting in a chair, in the car, or when he was propped up in bed. When he was in his recliner leaning one day he told one of his CGs that "the tires are flat on one side of my car. If someone can change the tires I'll be upright again." I just had to laugh when she told me this story - there was not much to laugh about in those days so a little humor when she called and told me was a nice momentary break from the stress. Lynn

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]