View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Claustrophobia. 

Post Claustrophobia.
Hi, this is my first time writing on this forum although I have been reading a lot of helpful posts. My Husband was diagnosed with LBD with Parkinsonisms last November and has since had the patch Exelon. He is of course struggling to come to terms with the disease especially as he has always been as fit as a fiddle, now he cannot drive his car and he has very limited energy to do what he wants. Can you tell me if claustrophobia is a usual symptom as I can't seem to find information on it. He cannot stay in a car for very long without getting stressed and wanting to get out, and at night the covers on his bed seem too heavy for him and he panics so much that he dreads going to bed. Also whenever we have company he seems to act fine for the duration of the visit, and when they have gone he seems exhausted with the effort. I would be pleased if someone could tell me if this is the norm as sometimes I feel so helpless. :roll:

Mon May 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Post Re: Claustrophobia.
My husband exhibited the same behaviors but I didn't see it as claustrophobia. I did get a very lightweight comforter for his bed and always kept the bedding raised off his feet. Riding in the car, he always thought I was driving too fast, which I wasn't.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon May 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi - I'm going to take an educated guess and say that maybe he is suffering from general anxiety and maybe not claustrophobia??? My dad had similar issues with being in the car for any length of time (even when he requested that we take him out for a ride or to go to a specific place he wanted to go). He was given meds to help reduce his anxiety but who knows if they actually worked or not. Maybe he would have been even worse without the meds, but anxiety and depression often go hand in hand and he took meds for both. There seem to be lots of people whose LBD-affected LOs have anxiety issues, so I'd say that is probably the norm.

Doing "show time" - holding it together in front of other people must be exhausting. That also seems to be a common theme with folks on the forum and other people I know whose LOs have had LBD. It is difficult for them to concentrate on what is being said, finding the right words and putting sentences together, and not acting out from anxiety-related issues. It appears to be very hard work for them, so of course they are exhausted after even short visits with people.

Some of the things that helped with my dad re: visitors were to have no more than 1 or 2 people in the room at a time, space out the visits from friends and relatives (when that was possible) and not have the visits last very long. One time I took my dad's next door neighbor for a visit to his ALF and she hadn't seen him in about a year. He really had a hard time keeping it together in front of her and kept giving me these pleading looks like "please get her out of here. I can't hold myself together much longer." Because of some logistical things I needed to take care of I didn't take her back home right away, and sure enough, after a bit longer my dad threw a tantrum from anxiety and exhaustion. It was not a good scene for him OR his elderly neighbor.

I wish this terrible disease would go away for your family and all the others affected by it. Take care, Lynn

Mon May 20, 2013 2:47 pm

I can relate, Lynn. My husband has had a very low threshold for chatter. Once when we had company, he said, after about an hour of visiting, 'Let's go home'. :lol:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon May 20, 2013 3:43 pm

That's funny Pat! My dad was such a highly social person, and in the end it was difficult for him to be around more than 1 person at a time, and for short periods.

Mon May 20, 2013 5:01 pm

First off let me welcome you to the forums, glad you have been reading for a while and decided to join in on conversations.
I am fairly certain that Claustrophobia and Anxiety kind of go hand in hand but I would'nt say it is a usual symptom of LBD, could be with the DX that he feels stuck.

Tue May 21, 2013 7:17 pm
Profile WWW

my husband has all of the above. We no longer can have visitors for any length of time or too many at once. He will say he is "crowded" It does seem like after we have had visitors and he has held it together for the visit, he has a day of more confusion. Mostly when I say confusion, I mean, he can't figure things out. Can't figure out where the bedroom is or can't figure out how to dress. The list go's on and on.
I always say, its not so much of a memory problem but just can't figure things out.
Mary

Thu May 23, 2013 10:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]